GENUKI Home page

Llangelynin Llangelynin     Contents Contents

Llangelynin


National Gazetteer (1868)

"LLANGELYNIN, a parish in the hundred of Talybont, county Merioneth, 5 miles N.W. of Towyn, and 12 S.W. of Dolgelly. Barmouth is its post town. It is situated on the coast of Cardigan Bay, and includes the townships of Bodgadfan, Crogennant, Llanfeddiged, and the large village of Llwyngwril. It is said that Eduowain-ab-Bradwen, chief of one of the 15 tribes, had a seat here. The country in the vicinity is bleak and uninteresting. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, value 400. The old parish church, dedicated to St. Celynin, but now deserted, stood on the coast-road to Towyn, about 2 miles S. of the present one, which has been built in the village of Llwyngwril. The charities, including an endowment to Morgan's school, produce about 20 per annum. A cave is shown in which it is said Owain Glyndwr secreted himself; and on the hill to the W. of the village is a camp called Castell-y-gaer."

"BODGADFAN, a township in the parish of Llangelynin, hundred of Tal-y-Bout, in the county of Merioneth, North Wales, 4 miles to the N. of Towyn. It is on the coast of Cardigan Bay."

"CROGENNANT-WITH-MORFA, a township in the parish of Llangelynin, in the county of Merioneth, 3 miles N. of Towyn."

"LLANFEDDIGED, a township in the parish of Llangelynin, county Merioneth, 4 miles N. of Towyn."

"LLWYNGWRILL, a township in the parish of Llangelynin, county Merioneth, 5 miles N. of Towyn. It is situated on the coast of Cardigan Bay, and is a station on the Newtown and Machynlleth and Aberystwith and Welsh coast railway. The parish church, built in the present century, is in this township. Here are some Druidic remains, and traces of a camp."

"MORFA-WITH-CROGENNANT, a township in the parish of Llangelynin, county Merioneth, 4 miles N.W. of Towyn."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANGELYNIN (LLAN-GELYNIN), a parish in two divisions, Higher and Lower, in the hundred of TAL y BONT, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (N.) from Towyn. This parish, which is situated on the coast of Cardigan bay, was anciently the residence of Ednowain ab Bradwen, one of the fifteen tribes of North Wales, in the time of Edward I.: the remains of his house, called Caer Bradwen and Llys Bradwen, are still to be seen in the township of Cregennan ; and near them are the remains of a Druidical circle. In the reign of Henry IV., Ednyved ab Aaron, grandson of Ednowain, entertained Owain Glyndwr after his defeat by that monarch, and secreted him in a cave near the church of this parish, which was from that circumstance called Ogov Owain, or "  Owain's cave :" it is now almost choked up with sand. At a place called Castell, now a farm-house, near Rhos Levain, an important battle is said to have been fought at some remote period, but no particulars are recorded concerning it. Peat and turf are obtained in the parish. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at 15. 10. 2 1/2., and in the patronage of Parry Jones, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Celynin, is an ancient structure : on the road through Llwyngwril to Dolgelley is a proprietary chapel, called Arthog chapel. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The Rev. Mr. Morgan bequeathed a tenement called Ty-croes, and Mrs. Morgan another, called Pen yr Allt, in trust for the instruction of poor children of this parish : the rents of both are now applied to the gratuitous instruction of fifty children, for which purpose a good school-house was erected by subscription, in 1831. Near the village of Llwyngwril, in this parish, are the remains of a British encampment ; and on the hill above it, called Gwastad Merioneth, is a small plain, on which are numerous Druidical remains. From this plain a very extensive prospect is obtained of the surrounding country. In a turbary at Ty 'n Coed, opposite to Barmouth, a copper urn, nineteen inches deep, and fourteen inches and a half in diameter at the top, and eleven and a half at the bottom, was found in 1826. At the farm called Tyddyn Bach lived Mary Thomas, an invalid, who subsisted for several years without any solid food, and almost entirely without nourishment ; and in this parish was born the noted astrologer named Arise Evans, an impostor of considerable fame among the class which so much prevailed during the reigns of Elizabeth and James I. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to 556. 11.

 

ARTHOG CHAPEL

ARTHOG CHAPEL, a hamlet in the township of CREGENNAN, parish of LLANGELYNIN, hundred of TALYBONT and MOWDDWY, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Dolgelley. The population is returned with the parish. This place is situated on the road from Dolgelley to Llwyngwril, and on the south side of the river Maw, or Mawddach, near the influx of which into Barmouth bay is an extensive turbary, or peat moss, where a great quantity of peat is dug, and conveyed in small boats down the river to Barmouth, and up to Llanelltyd, whence it is sent in carts to Dolgelley and its neighbourhood, for fuel. Arthog, a modern mansion in the later style of English architecture, is pleasantly situated on rising ground; well sheltered by hills, the sides of which are adorned with plantations, and their summits command extensive and pleasing views, particularly of the sea-port and bay of Barmouth, and the vale of Mawddach, as far as Dolgelley : in the grounds there is a highly picturesque waterfall, called Avon Cregennan. A chapel was erected here, about twenty-five years ago, at the expense of two successive proprietors of the Arthog estate, the living of which is a donative, in the patronage of Reginald Fowden, Esq., the present owner. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, to which a Sunday school is attached.

(Copied using  the original books AND the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 31 Aug 2005  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI