|Merionethshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANSAINTFFRAID-GLYN-DYFRDWY, a parish in the hundred of Edernion, county Merioneth, 2 miles E. of Corwen, its post town, and 6 W. of Llangollen. It is situated in a hilly neighbourhood on the river Dee. The village consists of a few farmhouses. At a place called Raggett a view is obtained over the valley of the Dee. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £98, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Fraid, or, according to others, to St. Bride. The charities produce about £1 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
The 1851 Census of Llansaintffraid-Glyn-Dyfrdwy as enumerated - transcription provided by John and Doreen Jones.
The 1871 Census of Llansaintffraid-Glyn-Dyfrdwy as enumerated - transcription provided by John and Doreen Jones.
The 1891 Census of Llansaintffraid-Glyn-Dyfrdwy as enumerated - transcription provided by John and Doreen Jones.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 693 acres; Population 62 males, 75 females, total 137
Clwyd FHS - photograph of St Ffraid (St Bridget) Church
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.
LLANSANTFRAID-GLYN-DYVRDWY (LLANSANT - FRAID - GLYN - DYVRDWY), a parish in the hundred of EDEYRNION, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (E.) from Corwen, containing 60 inhabitants. This parish, which was anciently a chapelry to that of Corwen, is pleasantly situated in the north-eastern extremity of the county, bordering upon that of Denbigh, and upon the banks of the river Dee. It comprises only four hundred and fifty acres, consisting of enclosed arable and pasture land, the whole of the waste lands within its limits having been enclosed by private agreement among the landholders, in the year 1807: the soil is principally stony and argillaceous. The surface is for the most part hilly, only a small tract on the margin of the Dee being subject to inundation : the Dee, which bounds the parish on the south, is here joined by a little rivulet called the Morwynion, which descends along its eastern border. The surrounding scenery is finely varied, and in many parts beautifully picturesque. From Ty 'n y Caerau, above Rhagatt; in this parish, is a fine view, extending over the fertile vale of Edeyrnion, through which the Dee, in its numerous windings, appears and disappears amidst flourishing woods and plantations, assuming the appearance of small lakes scattered through the vale, in which the town of Corwen forms a prominent and interesting feature, and beyond which the Berwyn range of mountains is seen with peculiar advantage. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £ 1. 17. 1., endowed with £ 400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Fraid, or St. Bride, who flourished about the middle of the seventh century, is a neat and ancient edifice, in the early style of English architecture, and appropriately fitted up for the performance of divine service : in the churchyard are three ancient yew trees of remarkably fine growth. In the village is a small building, now a dwelling-house, called Carchardy Owain Glyndwr, or " Owain Glyndwr's Prison House," in which that renowned chieftain is said to have confined the captives whom he took in battle. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £22.7. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Merionethshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date