GENUKI Home page

Llanymowddwy Llanymowddwy     Contents Contents

Llanymowddwy


National Gazetteer (1868)

"LLANYMOWDDWY, a parish in the hundred of Talybont, county Merioneth, 11 miles N.E. of Dolgelly, its post town. It is situated at the base of the mountain Arran Mowddy, where the river Dyfi has its source. The parish includes the townships of Cowarch, Cwmceiwydd, Llanerchfydda, and Pennant. Slate is obtained, and there is a supply of peat. The pass, called Bwlchy-Groes, is in this neighbourhood. The village of Llan-y-Mowddwy is a retired little place, embosomed in hills. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value 235, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Tydecho, is shaded by yew-trees. The charities amount to about 6 per annum. There is a waterfall on the Pumrhyd, which flows from a cwm on the W. of Llan-y-Mowddwy."

"COWARCH, a township in the parish of Llanymowddwy, in the county of Merioneth, 2 miles N. of Dinas-Mowddwy."

"CWMCEIWYDD, a township in the parish of Llanymowddwy, in the county of Merioneth, 4 miles N.E. of Dinas-Mowddwy."

"LLANERCHFYDDA, a township in the parish of Llanymowddwy, hundred of Talybont, county Merioneth, 4 miles N.E. of Dinas-Mowddwy."

"PENNANT, a township in the parish of Llanymowddwy, county Merioneth, 4 miles N.E. of Dinas Mowddwy."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANYMOWDDWY (LAN-Y-MAWDDWY), a parish in the hundred of TALYBONT and MOWDDWY, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (N. E.) from Dinasmowddwy, containing 703 inhabitants. This parish comprises an extensive mountainous district on the eastern confines of the county, bordering on Montgomeryshire ; and the village is situated in the narrow vale of Mowddwy, near the source of the river Dyvi or Dovey, which rises in a pool, containing no fish but abundance of lizards, at the base of a rock called Craig Llyn Dyvi, under the mountain of Aran Mowddwy, in this parish. The entire district abounds with picturesque scenery; and from the summit of the Aran are obtained magnificent prospects of numerous other Welsh mountains, with the intervening country. The vale, which is of considerable length, has the appearance of a glen or ravine, and is embosomed in vast hills, the declivities of which are covered with verdure, and afford pasturage to great numbers of young cattle and sheep. The vale is so much contracted as scarcely to leave space for a very narrow meadow in its bottom ; and, in one part of it, an opening between the hills by which it is enclosed presents a beautiful vista, through which is seen the rugged and lofty summit of the Aran Mowddwy mountain. In several parts of this narrow vale are interspersed groves of small extent, but of luxuriant appearance, and above them the hills are covered with fine turf to their summits, which are crowned with boggy and peaty lands, affording shelter to multitudes of red grouse, and supplying abundance of fuel to the inhabitants : the soil of the entire parish is gravelly. The peat is brought from its elevated bed with great difficulty down the declivities of the hills, which are too steep for a horse, in sledges drawn by men, who, by means of a rope, contrive to direct and regulate its motion ; but the practice is attended with danger from the accumulated velocity which the sledge acquires in its descent. At Pumrhyd, near the village, is a beautiful waterfall. The turnpike road from Dinasmowddwy to Bala and Corwen passes through the village. A few of the inhabitants are employed in procuring limestone, which is found in this parish in great abundance, and is generally of a brown colour, and of poor quality as a manure. Fairs are held on the first Thursday in March and October 18th. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at 16. 18. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Tydecho, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, and is appropriately fitted up for the performance of divine service. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. Sunday schools are supported by subscription, in connexion with the established church and the several dissenting congregations. The produce of several small charitable donations and bequests is annually distributed among the poor. Near the source of the river Dovey is a strongly impregnated chalybeate spring. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is 233. 3.

 

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 12 Oct 2005   Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI