We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"MALLWYD, a parish in the hundreds of Talybont and Mathrafel, county Merioneth and county Montgomery, 9 miles from Dolgelly, its post town, and 2 S. of Dinas-Mowddwy. It is situated on the river Dyfi, under Camlan and Moel Dyfi, comprising Dinas and 7 other townships Mallwyd is a favourite resort of anglers, and, from its varied scenery, is much frequented by artists. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £255, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Tydecho, is a small, plain structure, with the communion-table in the centre. The churchyard is famous for its yew trees, one of which is 24 feet in girth. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. At Pont- Fallwyd, a short distance from the village, is a waterfall of the river Dovy." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


1851 census of Dinas Mawddwy Transcribed by Lady Judy Buckley

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Mallwyd parish (only) statistics; Area 14556 acres; Population 556 males, 529 females, total 1085
Caireinion  fechan township (in co MGY) statistics; Area 1894 acres; Population 61 males, 55 females, total 116

  • Mallwyd Parish Church                   Attendance - morning 78 + 18 scholars, afternoon 27 scholars, evening 50 + 27 scholars       Services in Welsh        "The Questions are so insignificant and unnecessary that I can make no remarks"     Joseph Vaughan, Curate
  • Pengeulan Chapel, Dinas Mawddwy, Wesleyan Methodists           Erected c1807         Attendance - afternoon 88, evening 77       William Davies, Wesleyan Minister, Dolgelley
  • Bethsaida, Mallwyd, Independents             Erected 1821             Attendance - morning 88, evening 62               Edward Williams, Independent Minister
  • Salem, Mallwyd, Independents                Erected 1847             Attendance - evening 69                 Edward Williams, Independent Minister
  • Brynffynon or Camlau Chapel, Welsh Calvinistic Methodists           Erected 1802           Attendance - morning 3 + 46 scholars, evening 2 + 33 scholars           Edward Morris, Deacon, Bronamlau
  • Hebron, Calvinistic            Erected 1835               Attendance - morning 160 (?) inc 97 scholars             David Davies, Deacon, Blaenplwy
  • Ebenezer, Independents           Erected before 1800           Attendance - afternoon 202, evening 131                          Edward Williams, Independent Minister
  • Bethel, Narrow Lane, Dinas Mawddwy, Calvinistic Methodist           Erected 1840                Attendance - morning 48 scholars, afternoon 93, evening 50           Griffith Jones, Deacon, Ty'nycelyn

People's Collection Wales - St Tydecho Church

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Dinasmawddwy  section (in Welsh) has been extracted     Also Bethsaida chapel which appears to be in this parish

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.

Mallwyd Parochial Registers       Collections historical & archaeological relating to Montgomeryshire  Vol 32  1902   Welsh Journals Online

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Mallwyd which are provided by:

Mallwyd - on Wikipedia

Dinas Mawddwy - on Wikipedia



John Davies of Mallwyd - on Wikipedia    "Dr John Davies, Mallwyd (c. 1567-1644) was one of Wales's leading scholars of the late Renaissance..................."

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Jones, E. D. (Evan Deulwyn), papurau (papers) 1677-1957   "Evan Deulwyn Jones (d [1964]) was a native of Dinas Mawddwy, Mallwyd....................."
  • Williams, Walter, Dinas Mawddwy, papurau (papers) 1894-1965

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Mallwyd has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Shearing sheep at Penantigi Uchaf, Dinas Mawddwy, 1915   - on the People's Collection Wales site

Extracts from George Borrow's Wild Wales
CHAPTER LXXVI; Mallwyd and its Church - Sons of Shoemakers - Village Inn - Dottings
CHAPTER LXXV; Inn at Mallwyd - A Dialogue  - The Cumro 

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Dolobran, Mallwyd, Deeds  1735-1877  [Dolobran house and estate is in the township of Cerist, Mallwyd, Merionethshire, and was inherited by John David Lewis (fl. 1735-1758). ]            "Deeds, 1735-1877, relating to Dolobran and other property in Mallwyd, Merionethshire, and including schedules of the machinery of the Dolobran woollen factory, 1867-1874"    
  • Mallwyd Deeds   1872 -1904  "3 deeds touching upon properties called Ty mawr, Aberllewenydd and Gwernhefin and Blaen-y-cwm in the parish of Mallwyd, Merioneth"


Gwynedd Family History Society  havea diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Merionethshire (under Parishes)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH862123 (Lat/Lon: 52.696360, -3.685421), Mallwyd which are provided by:


Tyllau mwn (Friar's Coat), Dinas Mawddwy [iron ore mine] - on the  Mindat site