GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Merionethshire Merionethshire   Contents Contents

Trawsfynydd

"TRAWSFYNYDD, a parish in the hundred of Ardudwy, county Merioneth, 12 miles N. of Dolgelly, and 9 from Harlech. Carnarvon is its post town. It is situated on the Sarn Helen Way, and on the river Maw, which here forms several cascades, called Pistylt-y-Cain and Mawddach falls, the former 150 feet and the latter 60 feet descent. There are several lakes, the largest of which is Rathlyn lake, abounding in trout. The parish comprises near 100 square miles. The land is chiefly in barren sheep-walks. Copper and lead exist. In the vicinity numerous relics of antiquity have been discovered, including Castel Prysor, a British or Roman fort, and an inscribed stone at Bedd Porus bearing date 1275. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, value 179, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Madryn. Bishop Lloyd was born here in 1600. There are schools for both sexes, one of which has a small endowment. The Calvinistic Methodists have a chapel." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Bibliography

Canmlwyddiant Bethel (E.F.) Trawsfynydd, 1879-1979 : rhaglen y dathlu. Trawsfynydd : Eglwys Bethel, 1979. 8p

Davies, D. Notes about Trawsfynydd. Lampeter : Welsh Church Press, 1903. 8p

Davies, J Norman.  Dubbin, sawdust and lace : village football in Wales [Trawsfynydd]. Country Life 185/35 (29.8.91), p. 86

John, Brian S. Nuclear power and jobs : the Trawsfynydd experience. Newport : Cilgwyn Publications, 1986. 36p

Lloyd, Lewis. The Australian adventure of Evan Roberts, Junior, of Bryn-y-gath, Trawsfynydd. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 13/1 (1998), p. 43-52  

O'Brien, Keith T. St John Roberts, 1577-1610 : a brief history of the Saint and martyr from Trawsfynydd. 2001

The economic and social circumstances of young people living in rural Wales : Trawsfynydd, Gwynedd : final report. Newtown : Development Board for Rural Wales, [1992]. 75 leaves

Biography

Saint John Roberts  - on Wikipedia             " ..... one of the Catholic Forty Martyrs of England and Wales. Born in Trawsfynydd, ...... ordained a priest in 1602....."

Hedd Wyn - on Wikipedia   "Born Ellis Humphrey Evans..... Bardic name Hedd Wyn,...... spent most of his life on a hill farm near Trawsfynydd......"

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Census

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish statistics; Area 21950 acres; Population 734 males, 764 females, total 1498

TRAWSFYNYDD, St. Madryn & St. Anhun 1853-1854 - on the Church plans online site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Jerusalem chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation          Also Penystryd chapel (No translation)        Also Trawsfynydd (No translation)

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.

Bishop's Transcripts for various years between 1680 and 1839.   Contributed by Alwyn Humphreys

Description and Travel

Trawsfynydd - on Wikipedia

Aerial photograph of Trawsfynydd village, lake and nuclear power station, 1996 - on the People's Collection Wales site

Gazetteers

TRAWSVYNYDD (TRAWS-VYNYDD), a parish in the hundred of ARDUDWY, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 12 miles (N. by W.) from Dolgelley, containing 1450 inhabitants. This parish, the village of which is situated on an eminence in an exposed and open mountainous district, on the turnpike road from Tan y bwlch to Dolgelley, is more than ten miles in length and eight in breadth, and more than one-half, consisting of barren hills, is uncultivated, affording only scanty pasturage for sheep and young cattle. The surrounding country is strikingly varied, presenting in some parts the dreary wildness of rugged mountain scenery, in others the softer features of rural beauty, combined with objects of picturesque and romantic grandeur. The lake called Llyn Rathlyn is a fine sheet of water, noted for a peculiar species of perch, having the lower extremity of the back bone strangely distorted: the interesting waterfalls of Pistyll Cain and Pistyll Mawddach, in this parish, have been described in the article on DOLGELLEY. Fairs, which are in general well attended, are held here on April 23rd and September 29th, for horses, cattle; and pedlery; and at Penystryd, in this parish, others are held on August 17th and September 21st. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at 8. 12. 1., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Madryn, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, with Sunday schools attached to each. David Lloyd, in 1686, bequeathed 20 to the poor; Robert Roberts, in 1756, gave 12 to be distributed in bread ; and Mrs. Jones, near Corwen, and her daughter-in-law, bequeathed 180, directing that the interest should be appropriated to the annual distribution of 4, in sums of five shillings each, to sixteen poor women, and the remaining 4. 10. to the apprenticing of a poor boy once in two years. There are some remains of an ancient fortress called Castell Prysor, the name of which implies its hasty erection : it is of small extent, and occupied a situation in a pass between the hills on the left of the road from Trawsvynydd to Bala. The origin of this fortress, which is built of stone without any cement, is not precisely known; but, from the discovery of several urns and coins near the site, it is supposed to have been either built or occupied by the Romans ; and part of a Roman road, now called "  the Sarn Helen," which is still visible at no great distance, in some degree corroborates this opinion. On a farm in this parish, called Llech Idris, is Bedd Porus, or " the grave of Porus," over which is a flat stone with the inscription " Porus hic in tumulo jacit, homo -pianus fuit." The word pianus has been thought to have been originally Christianus ; but although the letter p has by some been considered an r, it does not appear ever to have been read t, and the interval between it and homo is insufficient for the five preceding letters. Near this spot is an upright stone, called Llech Idris, from which the farm takes its name, and concerning which there is a legend stating it to have derived that appellation from a giant named Idris ; but it appears to be simply one of those monumental stones so frequently found in this country. Near the Sarn Helen are several tumuli, in one of which were found five urns, and several fragments of bricks, which had been placed round them to protect them from injury : there is also a tumulus on a farm called Gwynionydd. Humphrey Lloyd, Bishop of Bangor, was born at Bodyvudda, in this parish, about the year 1600; and Sion and Rhys Cain, both eminent bards, were also natives of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to 552.  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Genealogy

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Merionethshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

Occupations

The manganese mines of Merionethshire

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [ Last updated: 9 Dec 2013  -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.