GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Merionethshire Merionethshire    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

TYWYN

"TYWYN, (or Towyn), a parish, post, and market town in the hundred of Estimaner, county Merioneth, 12 miles N. of Aberystwith, and 10 from Barmouth Ferry, with which it is connected by a short branch of the Aberystwith and Welsh coast railway. It is a bathing-place situated under the hills, near Cardigan Bay, opposite Sarn-y-Buch shoal. The parish includes Aberdovey, Cefnrhos, Cynfalfach, Faenol, and 7 other townships The town is much resorted to for bathing. In the parish is a small harbour easy of access. The herring fishery is carried on to some extent, and lead, copper, and slate are productive. The soil is rocky. Much of the marshes have been reclaimed, and are now rich meadow and pasture. The ruins of Trebeni Castle are seen on the hills. The river abounds in salmon." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Bibliography

Aberdovey & Tywyn pocket companion. Tywyn : Aberdovey & Tywyn Tourism Council, 1993. 48p

Aberdovey : a glimpse of the past : a collection of photographs. [Aberdovey] : [Hugh M. Lewis], [1975] 64p

Beech, Michael J. My childhood in Tywyn, Meirionydd : 1942-1951. Montpon-Ménestérol : Les Presses de la Double, 2002. 69 leaves

Leigh, Leslie A. Tenant farmer family in-migration and stability in the parishes of Pennal and Tywyn, 1838-1910. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 12 (1996), p. 277-88

Lewis, Hugh M. Aberdovey official guide. Aberdovey : Aberdovey Advertising Association, [195-?] 42p

Morgan, Thomas O. New guide to Aberdovey and its neighbourhood : with some account of Towyn, Machynlleth, and the vales of Dovey and Dysynwy. Aberystwyth : J. Cox, 1854. 118p

Official guide Tywyn Meirionnydd, Gwynedd : home of the Talyllyn Railway. 5th ed. Tywyn : Tywyn and District Publicity Bureau, [1985]. 114p

Thomas, Henry. Some features and episodes in the history of St. Cadvan's Church, Towyn. 1964?

Towyn, Merioneth : the official guide. Gloucester : British Publishing Co., [195-?] 56p

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish statistics; Area 26372 acres; Population 1322 males, 1447 females, total 2769

St Peter's Church, Aberdyfi

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Saron, Bryncrug   chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands            And Towyn chapel (No translation)    And Aberdyfi chapel  (No translation)

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Description and Travel

Narrow Gauge Railway Museum at Tywyn Wharf

Tywyn - on Wikipedia

Aberdovey - on Wikipedia

Aberdovey - on the Aberdyfi.org site

Gazetteers

Genealogy

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

History

Tywyn enamel works group c 1885 - on the People's Collection Wales site

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Merionethshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

Merchant Marine

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Occupations

The manganese mines of Merionethshire

Social Life and Customs

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 9 Dec 2013 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI