GENUKI Home page
Aberhafesp Aberhafesp   Contents & Search Contents

ABERHAFESP


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ABERHAFESP, a parish in the upper division of the hundred and union of Newtown, in county Montgomeryshire, North Wales, 2 miles N.W. of Newtown. This place derives its name from its situation at the confluence of the river Hafesp with the Severn. The Roman road from Caer-sws to Mediolanum; passed through the parish, and traces of it still remain on a farm named Llwydd Coed. The views from the church and the rectory are very fine, over the rich and varied scenery of the Vale of Severn, bounded in the distance by Plinlimmon and other mountains. The living is a rectory,* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value 356, and in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient edifice, in the early English style, and is dedicated to St. Cynog (Gwynnog). The Baptists and Independents have places of worship here. The principal occupations of the inhabitants are flannel-weaving, fishing, and working in the quarries. A medicinal spring, named Black Well, is much thought of and resorted to for relief in cases of scrofula."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

ABERHAVESP (ABER-HAVESP), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of NEWTOWN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Newtown, on the road to Machynlleth, comprising the upper and lower divisions, and containing 535 inhabitants. This place takes its name from its situation near the confluence of the river Havesp with the Severn, and is distinguished chiefly by its proximity to the Roman road from Caer-Sws to Mediolanum, which passed through the parish, and of which vestiges may still be traced on a farm called Llwyd Coed. From the rectory-house there is a fine view of the surrounding country, the scenery of which is agreeably and richly diversified, extending over the beautiful Vale of the Severn, and embracing the numerous windings of that noble river, the prospect being bounded in the distance by the Plinlimmon and other mountains. The weaving of flannel is carried on to a moderate extent, affording employment to such of the inhabitants as are not occupied in agriculture.

The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in. the king's books at 9. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Gwynnog, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, appropriately accommodated to the use of the inhabitants, and pleasantly situated near the river. There are places of Worship for Baptists and Independents : a parochial and a Sunday school are supported by subscription. In the south-eastern part of the parish there is a medicinal spring, called the Black Well, which is considered highly efficacious in scrofulous diseases, and is much resorted to by the inhabitants of the parish and neighbourhood. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to 427. 13.

(Copied using  the original books AND the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 27 May 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI