GENUKI Home page
Montgomeryshire Montgomeryshire   Contents Contents

 ALBERBURY

The main parish page is under  Shropshire

"ALBERBURY, a parish in the hundred of Ford, in county Shropshire, and the hundreds of Cawse and Deythur, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 9 miles to the N.W. of Shrewsbury railway station. It is situated on the river Severn, which forms part of its boundary, and on the Roman road called Watling Street, which runs through it. It contains the chapelries of Great Wollaston and Criggion, and the townships of Bauseley Alberbury, Benthal with Shrawardine Eyton, Rowton with Amaston, and several others."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

CRUGGION

CRUGGION (CRUGION), a chapelry in that part of the parish of ALBERBURY which is in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (N. E.) frOm Welsh-pool, containing 173 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, endowed with 1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Alberbury. The chapel is a neat edifice of brick, situated not far from the banks of the Severn. A National school is supported by subscription, in which about forty children are instructed. Methuselah Jones, in 1727, bequeathed a rent-charge of 3. 3. for providing annually ten coats for poor persons of this place. On the loftiest of the Breidden hills, in this chapelry, an obelisk was erected, in 1781, in commemoration of the distinguished naval services of Admiral Lord Rodney, particularly of his defeat of the powerful French fleet in the West Indies, commanded by Count de Grasse. The inhabitants are separately assessed for the maintenance of their own poor : the average annual expenditure is 92. 1. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833 )

 

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Township statistics; Area (see Bauseley below); Population 97 males, 92 females, total 189

MIDDLETON

MIDDLETON, a township in that part of the parish of ALBERBURY which is in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (E. by S.) from Welshpool, containing 100 inhabitants.( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833 )

 

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Township statistics; Area 736 acres; Population 50 males, 52 females, total 102

UPPINGTON,

UPPINGTON, a township in that part of the parish of ALBERBURY which is in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, containing 132 inhabitants. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is 64. 0.  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833 )

 

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Township statistics; Area 1002 acres; Population 56 males, 47 females, total 103

BAUSELEY TOWNSHIP

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Bauseley township; part of Alberbury parish; statistics; Area (with Criggion township) 1390 acres; Population 172 males, 180 females, total 352

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 26 Sept 2011  -  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.