We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Aberrhiw / Berriew


Brown, Roger L. Mr Martin's retirement : an episode in the history of the church in Berriew. Montgomeryshire Collections 85 (1997), p. 105-10

Edwards, William R. The family of William Edwards (1772-1830) of Welshpool & Berriew, Montgomeryshire. Guilsfield : Wm. R. Edwards, 1988.

Evans, Geraint G. The place-names of Berriew. Montgomeryshire Collections 83 (1995), p. 1-40

Gibson, Alex. The Carreg Beuno prehistoric landscape, Berriew. Montgomeryshire Collections 83 (1995), p. 41-58 Parish of Berriew : memorial inscriptions. [S.l.] : Montgomeryshire Geneaological Society, 2003. 120p

Parish of Berriew : Parish Church of St. Beuno, Ebenezer Congregational Chapel ... : memorial inscriptions. [S.l.] : Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society, 1999. 122p

Silvester, R J. Luggy Moat, Berriew : recording and conservation. Montgomeryshire Collections 85 (1997), p. 1-12

Smith, D W. Aberriw to Berriew : the story of a community. [Aberriw] : D.W. Smith, 1992. 17p

Smith, Douglas W. Berriew and Trinity : Thomas Jones (1756-1807) and his contemporaries. Montgomeryshire Collections (Transactions of the Powys-land Club) 79 (1991), p. 121-34

Smith, Douglas W. The Berriew enclosures : Brithdir and the intercommoning districts. Montgomeryshire Collections (Transactions of the Powys-land Club) 77 (1989), p. 81-105

Smith, Douglas W. Owen Owens of Berriew. Montgomeryshire Collections (Transactions of the Powys-land Club) 73 (1985), p. 121-3

Smith, Douglas W. Berriew in Stuart times : 2. Paupers and yeomen, poverty and prosperity. Montgomeryshire Collections (Transactions of the Powys-land Club) 73 (1985), p. 8-29

Smith, Douglas W. Berriew maps : some comments. Montgomeryshire Collections (Transactions of the Powys-land Club) 78 (1990), p. 162-3

Stormont, C A. A Berriew letter writer of the 1830s. Cronicl Powys. No. 24 (1991), p. 34-38

Stormont, C A. Berriew letter writer of the 1830s : a sequel to an article in Cronicl, no. 24. Cronicl Powys. No. 27 (1992), p. 8-14


Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Berriew parish 1841-1901

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Beuno Church, Berriew

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Beuno's Church

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish statistics; Area 12010 acres; Population 1125 males, 1052 females, total 2177

  •  Berriew Parish Church    "The present church was rebuilt about the year 1800 - opened for divine service 1803 in lieu of an old existing one. But was not reconsecrated"             Attendance - morning 250 + 50 scholars, afternoon 80 + 20 scholars       Services in English                John Meredith Williams, Curate
  • Fron, Wesleyan Methodists                     Dwelling house                  Attendance - afternoon 27                 John Morgan, Class Leader, Garthmyl
  • Providence Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist          Erected 1837         Attendance - morning 90 + 75 scholars, afternoon 75 scholars, evening 91       Wm. Richards, Steward, Halfway House, Garthmill
  • Chain House, Primitive Methodist              Erected 18 months, a house     Attendance - evening 73               Edward Hammonds, W. Larfinger (occupier). Garthmyl
  • Pentre Llifon Chapel, Wesleyan Methodists           Erected before 1800        Attendance - afternoon 35              Thomas Nicklen, Steward, Pentry
  • Ebenezer, Independent            Erected 1826                Attendance - morning 60, evening 130                    Thomas Davies, Independent Minister, The Crescent, Newtown
  • Tynycoed, Calvinistic Methodist             Attendance - morning 12 scholars, afternoon 45            William Jones, Deacon, Vachier, Berriew
  • Jerusalem Chapel, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist         Erected 1850                Attendance - morning 85, afternoon 90 scholars, evening 122       John Jones, Deacon, Redhouse
  • Veliendy, Primitive Methodist                Erected 1850; a dwelling house                    Attendance - afternoon 20           John Evans, Local Preacher
  • Mount Zion, Keel Township, Wesleans              Erected 1837     Attendance - morning 10 scholars, afternoon 100, evening 128        Robert Pryce, Local Preacher
  • Calvinistic Methodist, Ffrydd Township                 dwelling house        Attendance - morning 20, afternoon 30 scholars      Thomas Gwynne, Manager

Church of St Beuno, Berriew on the Montgomeryshire Churches Survey site

Wesleyan churches on the Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society site - Berriew, Pentre Llifior

Independent churches on the Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society site - Ebenezer, built c 1829

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Berriew chapel (in Welsh )   - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Aug 2009)

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Montgomeryshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

  • Baptisms 1596-1628, 1685-1981; Marriages 1596-8, 1600-3, 1607-9, 1616-26, 1685-1985; Burials 1596-1628, 1683-91, 1693-1923; Banns 1834-1986
    Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives.  
    Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW, Denbigh Archives and/or Flintshire Archives  

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Refail (Jerusalem) Presbyterian Chapel, Berriew, records 1891-2000    "Jerusalem Presbyterian Chapel is in the hamlet of Refail (Yr Efail or Efail-fach) in the parish of Berriew, Montgomeryshire. The Calvinistic Methodist cause in the area was started about 1815. The chapel was built in 1850 and rebuilt in 1903. In 2000 the chapel had 49 members and friends. The chapel is usually called Refail (or Revel) Chapel"

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Aberrhiw / Berriew which are provided by:

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Welshpool, Berriew and Montgomery, postcards, donated by Lancashire County Council  [1921]-1929


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Aberrhiw / Berriew has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

Rhiewport Mansion near Berriew, 1864 - on the People's Collection Wales site    ".............. Rhiewport was owned by the Wythen-Jones family for many years."

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Vaynor Park Estate Records  1459-1977 (predominantly 1601-1930)     "Estate and family records of the Lyon, Winder and Corbett-Winder families of Vaynor Park, Berriew, Montgomeryshire............."   
  • Montgomeryshire Deeds and Documents from the Bryson Collection    "Deeds and schedules of deeds relating to property in Llanidloes and Berriew, Montgomeryshire, 1771-[1912];......"


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ187008 (Lat/Lon: 52.598861, -3.201799), Aberrhiw / Berriew which are provided by:

Map of Montgomeryshire parishes on Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society's site - shows dioceses

Victorian Powys for schools site - Map of Berriew in 1840, and 1901


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Edward Davies Papers 1883-1938     "Edward Davies, a farmer and cultivation officer for the Montgomeryshire Agricultural Executive, spent most of his life in the parish of Berriew, Wales. He was born on 9 August 1860, the son of Thomas Davies, a farmer of Stingwern, Berriew. In 1880 he married Martha Jane Bebb of Castle Caereinion. Their first son, Edward, was born in Castle Caereinion in about 1881, but by 1883 the family were living at Penfynydd, Berriew, until 1892 when they moved to Felindre in the same parish. Later they moved to Cil, also in Berriew, and Lower House Farm, Little Ness, England."   
  • Cefngarthmyl Farm, Garthmyl, Berriew, records    "William Mellings (fl. 1826-1860) appears to have farmed at Cefngarthmyl Farm, Berriew, Montgomeryshire, and was also a maltster."

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Berriew Parish and Community Council records  1628-1994


Return to top

Aberrhiw / Berriew