Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Buttington parish consisting of Cletterwood Township; Hope Township; and Trewern Township; statistics; Area 5099 acres; Population 427 males, 389 females, total 816
- Cletterwood Township (131 males, 119 females, total 250)
- Buttington Church of an Ancient Chapelry Attendance - morning 133 + 58 scholars, afternoon 59 scholars, evening 38 Services in English David Phillips Lewis, Perpetual Curate
- Hope Township (92 males, 85 females, 177)
- Long Mountain Meeting, Hope Primitive Methodists A room in a dwelling house Attendance - evening 18 John Davies, Leader
- Trewern Township (204 males, 185 females, total 389)
- Trewern Chapel - Church of England Consecrated as an additional church / Licensed 1839 Attendance - afternoon 89 David Phillips Lewis, Perpetual Curate (St Mary's)