"BUTTINGTON, called by the Welsh TAL Y BONT (the end of the bridge), a parish in the hundred of POOL., within the liberties of the borough of WELSH-POOL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Welshpool, comprising the townships of Clitterwood, Hope, and Trewern, each of which separately maintains its own poor, and containing 775 inhabitants. During the Saxon era this place was called Butdigingtune, and is remarkable as the scene of a desperate battle, in 894, between the Saxons and the Danes. ... The church, dedicated to All Saints, is built in the early style of English architecture. ... " [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833]
Shropshire/Montgomeryshire border private census. "A researcher of families from the Shropshire-Montgomeryshire border recently acquired a private census collated by an owner of land in Alberbury, Cardeston, Wollaston & Buttington, straddling the counties of Shropshire and Montgomeryshire.Unlike the civil census, this private census does not give details that are particularly useful to genealogists. Instead it gives details that will be of interest to family historians, that is, details of people's character, employment, financial status and living conditions; details which on the whole are completely lost."
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Buttington parish consisting of Cletterwood Township; Hope Township; and Trewern Township; statistics; Area 5099 acres; Population 427 males, 389 females, total 816
Cletterwood Township (131 males, 119 females, total 250)
Buttington Church of an Ancient Chapelry Attendance - morning 133 + 58 scholars, afternoon 59 scholars, evening 38 Services in English David Phillips Lewis, Perpetual Curate
Hope Township (92 males, 85 females, 177)
Long Mountain Meeting, Hope Primitive Methodists A room in a dwelling house Attendance - evening 18 John Davies, Leader
Trewern Township (204 males, 185 females, total 389)
Trewern Chapel - Church of England Consecrated as an additional church / Licensed 1839 Attendance - afternoon 89 David Phillips Lewis, Perpetual Curate (St Mary's)
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Baptisms 1736-1948; Marriages 1736-1971 ; Burials 1736-1953 ; Banns 1824-1900
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the Herefordshire Archives NLW, SOG, Denbighshire Archives and/or Flintshire Archives