"BUTTINGTON, (or Tal-y-bont), a parish in the borough and hundred of Pool, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 2 miles to the N.E. of Welshpool. It is situated in a fertile and partially hilly district on the borders of Shropshire, on the E. bank of the river Severn, over which is a very ancient wooden bridge, and contains the townships of Cletterwood, Hope, and Trewern. This place was called by the Saxons Butdigingtun, or Buttingdun, and was the scene, about the end of the 9th century, of a great defeat of the Danes, who had encamped here, by the Saxons. The Breidden hills extend into this parish, and on Craig Vreddin, one of their principal peaks, stands the pillar erected in honour of Admiral Lord Rodney in 1781. The prospect from this hill is extensive and richly diversified. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £107, in the gift of the Vicar of Welshpool. The church, which is in the early English style, is dedicated to All Saints. Offa's Dyke crosses part of this parish, and traces of ancient camps are found on the neighbouring hills.
"CLETTERWOOD, a township in the parish of Buttington, in the borough of Pool, in the county of Montgomery, South Wales, 2 miles E. of Welshpool, its post town and railway station, on the Shropshire and Welshpool section of the London and North-Western line."
"CLITTERWOOD, a township in the parish of Buttington, in the county of Montgomery, 3 miles E. of Welshpool. It is situated on the river Severn and Offa's Dyke."
"HOPE, a township in the parish of Buttington, borough of Pool, county Montgomery, 2 miles N.E. of Welshpool."
"TREWERN, a township in the parish of Buttington, county Montgomery, 3 miles N.E. of Welshpool, within which borough it is included. It is situated on the Montgomery canal and the river Severn."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
BUTTINGTON, called by the Welsh TAL Y BONT (the end of the bridge), a parish in the hundred of POOL., within the liberties of the borough of WELSH-POOL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Welshpool, comprising the townships of Clitterwood, Hope, and Trewern, each of which separately maintains its own poor, and containing 775 inhabitants. During the Saxon era this place was called Butdigingtune, and is remarkable as the scene of a desperate battle, in 894, between the Saxons and the Danes. The latter, in one of their landings under their leader Hesten, having traversed the kingdom from east to west, and finding Alfred in pursuit of them with a numerous army, hastily retreated from the western part of England towards Wales, and, being closely pressed by the Saxons, intrenched themselves at this village, where they were actively blockaded by their pursuers, and reduced to such distress as to be obliged to feed upon the flesh of their horses. Impelled by despair and famine, they at length made an attempt to force their way through the Saxon army, when a dreadful carnage ensued, by which most of them were slain, and but few escaped to their own country.
The village is situated on the road from Welshpool to Shrewsbury, and on the eastern bank of the river Severn, which is crossed by a wooden bridge of considerable antiquity, and, after heavy rains, frequently overflows its banks, which are here very low, and causes great damage to property. Some of the land is very rich and valuable, particularly that lying along the margin of the Severn. The Longmynd and the Breidden hills are partly situated within this parish : the latter are divided into three rocky peaks, called Craig Vreddin (from Bre, an elevation, and Din, a fort, being so named from an ancient British fort which is still visible on its summit), Cevn Cestyll, and Moel y Golva, the last of which is the loftiest and most conical. On the first of these a tall obelisk was erected, in 1781, in commemoration of the distinguished naval services of Admiral Lord Rodney, in the war with France, particularly his defeat of a powerful French armament, under the command of Count de Grasse, in the West Indies : it consists of a circular pillar resting on a square pedestal, and formerly terminating at the top with a ball, which was struck by lightning and has not been replaced ; the expense was defrayed by subscription among the gentry in the neighbourhood. The summit of this peak commands pleasing and highly diversified views of the fertile Vale of Severn and the country bordering upon it, the richly cultivated and extensive plain of Salop, with the Cheshire hills, and the principal mountains in North Wales. The rocky sides of these hills present a precipitous escarpment, here and there interspersed with shrubs, whilst their bases are finely skirted with woods. On a small plain to the east, called Crew Green, there is a large isolated rock, denominated Belin Mount, at a short distance from the adjacent hills.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £1000 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Welshpool, to which parish this was formerly a chapelry, having been separated from it, and made a distinct parish, in 1759. The vicar still enjoys one-fourth part of the great and small tithes, and the remainder belongs to the Earl of Powis, as lessee under the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is built in the early style of English architecture.
Vestiges of several British encampments are visible on the rising grounds in this parish, which, from its situation upon the border, was doubtless, in early times, frequently the scene of military operations. That celebrated boundary line, Offa's Dyke, runs through it to a spot near the church, where it disappears for the space of about five miles, the channel of the river Severn probably serving as a continuation to the parish of Llandrinio, in which it is again seen. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £234. 18
CLITTERWOOD, a township in the parish of BUTTINGTON, within the jurisdiction of the borough of WELSHPOOL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Welshpool, containing 260 inhabitants. This is one of eighteen parishes and townships incorporated for the maintenance of their poor in the house of industry at Forden : the average annual expenditure for this township is £70. 11.
TREWERN (TRE-WERN), a township in the parish of BUTTINGTON, within the liberties of the borough of WELSHPOOL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Welshpool, containing 353 inhabitants. It is situated on the right bank of the river Severn, and on the road from Shrewsbury to Welshpool. A small stream, designated by the same name as the township, here falls into the Severn. Trewern is separately assessed for the maintenance of its poor, the average annual expenditure amounting to £ 106. 11.
(Copied using the original books AND the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 23 Oct 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996