"CARNO, a parish in the hundred of Llanidloes, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 9 miles to the W. of Newtown, its post town. It is situated in a hilly and picturesque district, watered by a small stream, a tributary of the Severn, and contains the townships of Derlwyn, Llysyn, and Trowscoed. It is distinguished in the Welsh annals as the scene of two battles, one about the middle of the 10th century, in which the two sons of Edwal Feel, princes of North Wales, defeated the sons of Hywel Dda; and the other about 1080, in which the usurper Trahaern ap Caradoc was defeated by Gruffydd ap Cynan, prince of North Wales, and Rhys ap Tewdwr, prince of South Wales. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value £95, in the patronage of Sir W. W. Wynn, Bart. The church, rebuilt in 1807, is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Here is said to have been formerly a house of the knights of St. John of Jerusalem. The Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, Baptists, and Independents have chapels."
"DERLWYN, a township in the parish of Carno, in the county of Montgomery, 8 miles N. of Llanidloes."
"LLYSYN, a township in the parish of Carno, county Montgomery, 8 miles N. of Llanidloes."
"TROWSCOED, a township in the parish of Carno, county Montgomery, 7 miles N. of Llanidloes."
CARNO, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 11 miles (W. N. W.) from Newtown, containing 1010 inhabitants. In 948, a battle was fought here for the sovereignty of North Wales, between Ievav and Iago, the sons of Edwal Voel, and those of Hywel Dda, late king of all Wales, which terminated in favour of the former. And in 1077, or, according to some, in 1082, an eminence called Mynydd Carn, from a large carnedd upon it, commemorative of some distinguished warrior of a still more remote period, was the scene of one of the most sanguinary battles ever fought in the principality, between Grufydd ab Cynan, rightful sovereign of North Wales, aided by Rhys ab Tewdwr, Prince of South Wales, and Trahaern ab Caradoc, who then usurped the throne, in which the latter was defeated and slain, after a sharp and obstinate conflict, with the flower of his army, and Grufydd succeeded to the throne, which he filled for fifty-seven years, and died in 1137: his biography is preserved in the Welsh Archaeology, from which he appears to have been distinguished by strong and decisive powers of mind. The scene of this battle is by some fixed at Carno in Brecknockshire, but the event may possibly be confounded with an engagement that took place there, in 728, between Rhodri Molwynog, and Ethelbald King of Mercia.
The village is situated on the road from Newtown to Machynlleth : there is a turbary in the parish, where peat is obtained for the consumption of the adjoining district. The hills command fine views of the vale of Carno and the surrounding eminences. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £ 800 royal bounty, and £ 200 parliamentary grant, and in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an unadorned stone edifice, rebuilt in 1807: it formerly belonged to the knights of St. John of Jerusalem, who are said to have had a house near it. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to £725. 11.
DERWLWYN, a township in the parish of CARNO, lower division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 12 miles (W. N. W.) from Newtown. The population is returned with the parish, but in 1821 it was included in the return for the township of Trawscoed. The names of these townships denote that they formerly abounded with wood, though little of that article is observable at present, they being for the most part rugged and mountainous.
LLYSIN, a township in the parish of CARNO, lower division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 10 miles (N. W. by W.) from Newtown. The population is returned with the parish. The waste lands of this place, as well as many others in the contiguous parishes, were enclosed and allotted under an act of parliament, obtained in 1816, commonly called "The Arustley Enclosure Act."
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)