We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Castell Caereinion / Castle Caereinion


Bowen, E G      A map of the Trehelig Common Fields         Collections historical & archaeological relating to Montgomeryshire   Vol 41  1930   Welsh Journals Online  

Brown, Roger L. A History of Castle Caereinion School, 1797-1995. 1995. 99pp

Brown, Roger L. Castle Caereinion in the past. Castle Caereinion : Michael Rogers at the Post Office, 2002. 24p

Brown, Roger L. St Garmon's Church, Castle Caereinion : a short history & guide.  Welshpool : R.L. Brown, 1997. 5p

Brown, Roger L. Church and Clergy at Castle Caereinion. Welshpool : Gwasg Eglwys y Trallwng, 1997. 91p

Brown, Roger L. Parish and pauper : a history of the administration of the Poor Law in the parish of Castle Caereinion, Montgomeryshire. Welshpool : Gwasg Eglwys y Trallwng , 1999. 111p

Parish of Castle Caereinion : Parish Church of St Garmon, New Graveyard, Cwmgolau Presbyterian Chapel, Maes-y-Groes Methodist Chapel : memorial inscriptions. [S.l.] : Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society, c1997. 73p

Parish of Castle Caereinion : register of baptisms, burials and marriages 1663-1743. [S.l.] : Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society, 2003. 124p

The Castle of Caereinion            Collections historical & archaeological relating to Montgomeryshire  Vol 32  1902   Welsh Journals Online

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish statistics; Area 6540 acres; Population 385 males, 340 females, total 725

  • Castle Caereinion Parish Church         Attendance - morning 148 +55 scholars, afternoon 53, evening 35      3 services in English, 1 in Welsh          D Davies, Minister
  • Penuel or Castle Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist                     Erected 1843        Attendance - afternoon 84, evening 36        " .........The school was removed from a dwelling house in the village of Castle to the Chapel when it was opened in the year 1843 the school and congregation is connected with the Chapel"           Thomas Gittins, Deacon, Tylvaen (?)
  • Byrwydd, Independents                   Erected 1851                 Attendance - morning 50 scholars, evening 55          "........the old Sunday School was held for years in Brynhebog .......the School and congregation are connected with Penarth Chapel"              Robert Dafydd Thomas, Minister
  • Tabor Chapel, Welsh Calvinistic Methodists                    Erected 1829           Attendance - morning 78                    Thomas Hughes, Secretary, Grocer
  • Maesygroes, Wesleyan Methodists                   Erected 1822               Attendance - average - morning 30, afternoon 50 + 30 scholars             Evan Jones, Steward, Tanyllan
  • Jerusalem Congregational Chapel, Independents                    Erected 1841             Attendance - evening 130                     "The Chapel is situated on the borders of Castle, Llanfair, and Llangynin parishes. It will contain about 200 hearers. Sunday scholars are included in the congregation. The School is usually held at 10 in the morning.................."              Robert Dafydd Thomas, Minister

Church of St Garmon, Castle Caereinion on the Montgomeryshire Churches Survey site

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru   (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Jerusalem  section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Aug 2009)

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Montgomeryshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

  • Baptisms 1689-1732, 1734-1992; Marriages 1689-1732, 1734-1991; Burials 1689-1732, 1734-1877; Banns 1810-1943
    Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives.  
    Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW, Denbighshire Archives and/or Flintshire Archives   

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Castell Caereinion / Castle Caereinion which are provided by:

Castle Caereinion on the Castle Wales site


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Castell Caereinion / Castle Caereinion has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ163055 (Lat/Lon: 52.640739, -3.238416), Castell Caereinion / Castle Caereinion which are provided by:

Map of Montgomeryshire parishes on Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society's site - shows dioceses

Victorian Powys for schools site - Map of Castle Caereinion in 1836, and 1902

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Castle Caereinion Parish and Community Council Records  1894-1999