"CASTLE CAEREINION, a parish partly in the hundred of Cawrse, and partly in that of Mathrafel, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 4 miles to the W. of Welshpool, its post town. It is included within the limits of the borough of Welshpool, and comprises about 10 townships It was the site of a fortress belonging to the princes of North Wales. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £575, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Garnon. There is a free school in the village endowed with about £15 a year. The other charitable endowments for the poor are worth about £45 per annum."
"CASTLE, a township in the parish of Castle-Caereinion, and borough of Welshpool, locally in the hundred of Cawrse, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 4 miles to the W. of Welshpool."
"CWMGORON, a township in the parish of Castle-Caereinion, in the county of Montgomery, near Welshpool, within the limits of which borough it is included."
"GAER, a township in the parish of Castle Caereinion, county Montgomery, 4 miles S.W. of Welshpool. It is situated near an old Roman fortification, from which circumstance it derives its name, Gaer, or Caer, signifying a camp."
"MOYDOG, a township in the parish of Castle Caereinion, county Montgomery, 4 miles S.E. of Llanfair."
"NANTFORCH, a township in the parish of Castle-Caereinion, county Montgomery, 4 miles S.E. of Llanfair."
"SYLFAEN, a township in the parish of Castle Caereinion, county Montgomery, 4 miles S.W. of Welshpool."
"TREFNANT, a township in the parish of Castle Caereinion, county Montgomery, 4 miles S.W. of Welshpool, and 2 from St. Asaph. It is a station on the Rhyl and Denbigh branch of the Vale of Clwyd railway."
"TREHELIG, a township in the parish of Castle Caereinion, county Montgomery, 3 miles S. of Welshpool, on the river Severn."
CASTLE-CAER-EINION, a parish partly within the liberties of the borough of WELSHPOOL, partly in the upper division of the hundred of CAWRSE, and partly in the hundred of MATHRAVAL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Welsh-pool, containing 783 inhabitants. This place is stated to derive its name from Einion Yrth, tenth son of Cunedda Wledig, King of Cambria, to whom, in the sixth century, it was given by that sovereign, on dividing the country among his twelve sons. On a conical hill, half a mile to the north-east of the village, was Einion's camp, probably called Castell yn Nghaer Einion, or, according to some, Castell, or Caer, Einion, where Madog ab Meredydd, Prince of Powys, built a castle, in the year 1151, which was burnt by Owain Cyveiliog, in 1166: some of the intrenchments are discernible, but there are no remains of the castle. About the year 1109, Madoc ab Ririd, a lawless chieftain of North Wales, being at enmity with his uncle Iorwerth, the petty sovereign of a surrounding territory, concealed himself among the rocks and woods, with a body of outlawed followers ; and, having received intelligence that Iorwerth intended on a certain night to sleep at this place, surrounded it at midnight, aided by his ally, Llywarch ab Trahaern ; but the prince and his attendants defending it with great valour, the assailants set it on fire. The inmates then endeavoured to escape, and some of them succeeded in fighting their way through the enemy, whilst others were slain in the attempt, and the rest perished in the fire. Iorwerth himself made a vigorous effort to extricate himself from the weapons of his assailants, but was driven back, and fell a sacrifice to the flames: his brother Cadwgan, having succeeded to his territory, was killed in like manner by his ferocious nephew.
The village is situated on the road from Berriew to Llanvair, and that from Welshpool to Llanvair runs through the parish. The high grounds, especially the summit of the Berwydd chain of hills, embrace picturesque views of the adjacent vales and hills. The Earl of Richmond, afterwards Henry VII., on his march against King Richard III., is said to have lodged one night at the mansion of Dolarddin, in this parish : the old house has been almost wholly taken down, and its place supplied by a modern residence. That portion of the parish which is within the liberties of the borough of Welshpool consists of the townships of Gaer, Sylvaen, Trev Helyg, and Trevnant, and part of that of Castle-Caer-Einion.
The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £ 12. 17. 6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Garmon, is a neat unadorned edifice of stone, rebuilt in 1810. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A free school is endowed with property arising from a gift of £400 by Edward Thomas, Esq., for the instruction of children whose parents do not rent property of the value of £30 per annum : there are about forty children now in the school. Some minor bequests have been made for the benefit of the poor, the principal of which consists of a small plot of ground bequeathed by Hannah Lloyd, in 1692, the rental to be distributed in bread and clothing to those of Castle-Caer-Einion, Berriew, and Forden. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £435. 13.