We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
CEMMES - Gazetteers
"CEMMES, a parish in the hundred of Machynlleth, in the county of Montgomery, 6 miles N.E. of Machynlleth, its post town. It is situated on the river Dyfi. Here is Moel Eiddau, a Roman camp, which commands an extensive view. The parish includes the townships, of Brynnchel, Tafolog, and Gwernybwlch. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £288, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Tydecho. There is an Independent chapel. The charities produce £5 per annum. Fairs are held on the let May, 9th and 24th September."
"BRINCHIL, (or Brynuchel), a township in the parish of Cemmes, hundred of Machynlleth, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 7 miles to the N.E. of Machynlleth.
"GWERNYBWLCH, a township in the parish of Cemmes, hundred of Machynlleth, county Montgomery, 6 miles S. of Dinas-Mowddwy, and 6 N.E. of Machynlleth. It is situated on the river Dyfi, and contains the village of Cemmes."
"TAFOLOG, a township in the parish of Cemmes, hundred of Machynlleth, county Montgomery, 7 miles N.E. of Machynlleth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
CEMMES (CEMMAES), a parish in the hundred of MACHYNLLETH, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 7 miles (N. E. by E.) from Machynlleth, containing 917 inhabitants. The name of this place signifies a circle, or amphitheatre for games. The village is pleasantly situated on the southern bank of the river Dovey, and on the road from Welshpool to Machynlleth and Aberystwith, which, from a short distance north of it, runs parallel with the river for the remainder of its course. From Moel Eiddan there is a fine view of the vale of Cemmes and Mallwyd, through which winds the Dovey, bounded by the extended bases and lofty summits of Cader Idris, Aran Mowddy, Plinlimmon, and other hills. About one-third of the parish consists of sheep-walks belonging to the adjoining landowners; peat for fuel is obtained within its limits. Fairs are held on May 1st, September. 9th, and November 24th. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £7, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Tydecho, is in the early style of English architecture : the gallery is adorned with fine carvings of flowers, &c., in wood ; in the churchyard there are four large yew trees. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. A Welsh circulating school is at present (1831) situated at this place, for an account of which see DAROWEN ; and it is in contemplation to establish a National school. There is a Sunday school in connexion with the church, in which about sixty children are instructed. A small plot of ground was bequeathed to the poor by Derwas Griffith, in 1669 ; the sum of £40 by Bridget Mostyn, in 1730; and £20 by Grace Pryse, in 1784. Upon the summit of Moel Eiddan are the remains of a Roman encampment ; and in a turbary near it, a brazen celt, and a circular ornamented brooch of brass, about three inches in diameter, were found, in 1824, which are now in the possession of the Rev. Isaac Bonsall, rector of Llanwrin. The poor are supported by an average annual expenditure amounting to £474. 14.
BRYN-UCHEL, a joint township with Tavolog, in the parish of CEMMES, hundred of MACHYNLLETH, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, containing, with Tavolog, 395 inhabitants.
GWERN Y BWLCH
GWERN Y BWLCH, a township in the parish of CEMMES, hundred of. MACHYNLLETH, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 7 1/2 miles (E. by N.) from Machynlleth, containing 522 inhabitants. It is situated on the right bank of the river Avon Yale, which falls into the Dovey, and on the road from Newtown to Machynlleth. Through a break between the mountains a distant view of Cader Idris is obtained ; and this bwlch, or gap, gives name to the township, which contains a great portion of common, affording sheepwalks to the contiguous farms.
TAVOLOG, a joint township with Bryn-Uchel, in the parish of CEMMES, hundred of MACHYNLLETH, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 9 1/2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Machynlleth. The population is returned with that of Bryn-Uchel. It is situated on the right bank of the river Tavolog, which falls into the river Dovey near Mallwyd ; and it forms the northern portion of the parish, which borders on Merionethshire.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books