We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Ceri / Kerry

"KERRY (CERI), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of MONTGOMERY, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Newtown, containing 2199 inhabitants. The name is of doubtful etymology. Some deduce it from Ceri, the "mountain ash," with which the district is thought formerly to have abounded. Others consider it to be a corruption of Caerau, "fortified places," there being remains of several in the parish and its vicinity, ... The parish, which is situated in the southern part of the shire, adjoining the counties of Radnor and Salop, is about thirteen miles in length, varying in breadth from three to five miles, and is divided into four parts for the separate maintenance of the poor : it is intersected by the small rivers Mule and Miheli, ... The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is stated by Giraldus Cambrensis to have been rebuilt in 1176: ... " [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833]

Bibliography

Bannister, Geoffrey F. Lament for the country railway : 2. Return to Kerry. Back Track 1 (1987), p. 7-8

Cozens, Lewis. The Mawddwy, Van and Kerry Railways with the Hendre-Ddu and Kerry Tramways.

Jerman, Herbert N. Kerry the church and the village : a guide. [Kerry, Montgomeryshire] : [The author], [1976]

Jerman, H Noel    From moss to macadam; a study of the inter-relation of roads and human society in the Kerry region     Collections historical & archaeological relating to Montgomeryshire   Vol 43  1934   Welsh Journals Online  

Kerry Parochial Registers,  vols 1/2/3/4     Collections historical & archaeological relating to Montgomeryshire   Vol 39  1920   Welsh Journals Online  

Morris, C G. A Morris family, Kerry. Cronicl Powys. No. 20 (1989), p. 41-53

Morris, Philippa. Morris, Davies and Jones in Kerry, Montgomery and Llandyssul. Cronicl Powys. No. 20 (1989), p. 53-61

Torrens, Hugh. 'Mineral engineer' John Williams of Kerry (1732-95) : his work in Britain and his mineral surveys in the Veneto and North Italy. Montgomeryshire Collections 84 (1996), p. 67-102

Willans, J B      Some former Kerry landowners            Collections historical & archaeological relating to Montgomeryshire   Vol 40  1923   Welsh Journals Online

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish statistics; Area 21430 acres; Population 992 males, 938 females, total 1930

  • Kerry Parish Church            Attendance - usual - 450      Services in English       Informant; Robert Pryce, Parish Clerk
  • Sarn, Baptist                 Erected 1827               Attendance - morning 125 + 25 scholars, afternoon 27 scholars, evening 84                  John Jones, Minister
  • Union, Baptist            Erected 1824            Attendance - morning 34, evening 84                 Richard Owen, Minister, Upper Green, Newtown
  • Bethany, Independent            Erected 1840          Attendance - afternoon 48             Thomas Davies, Independent Minister, The Crescent, Newtown
  • Dolvor, Calvinistic Methodists            Dwelling house               Attendance - morning 18             John Herbert, Minister

    Church of St Michael and All Angels, Kerry on the Montgomeryshire Churches Survey site

    Baptist churches on the Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society site - Kerry

    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Ceri chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Aug 2009)

    Church Records

    Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Montgomeryshire parish registers

    As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

    • Baptisms 1602-6, 1609-1993; Marriages 1602-6, 1609-1993; Burials 1602-6, 1609-1860; Banns 1823-1973
      Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives.  
      Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW

    Sarn - a parish formed out of Ceri and Churchstoke

    • Baptisms 1860-; Marriages 1861- ; Burials 1860- ;   all with incumbent

    Description and Travel

    Kerry Motte - on Castle Wales site

    You can see pictures of Ceri / Kerry which are provided by:

    Gazetteers

    Genealogy

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Poundley and Griffiths families, papers  1854-1966      "The Poundley family came from The Black Hole, Pentregate and later Springfields, parish of Kerry, Montgomeryshire. The Griffiths family came from Trennydd, parish of Newport, Pembrokeshire, also The Moat, parish of Kerry, and Pigeonsford, Llangrannog, Cardiganshire"

    Historical Geography

    You can see the administrative areas in which Ceri / Kerry has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

    Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ceri / Kerry to another place.

    Land and Property

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Black Hall Estate (Montgomeryshire) Records [Kerry]   1587-1847     
    • H. Noel Jerman Papers  " ........... including deeds and documents relating to properties in Kerry, Montgomeryshire, 1679-1885, and Kerry School, 1843-1873, and copies of local newspapers, 1834-1868; records relating to the Dolforgan estate, including deeds and documents relating to properties in Montgomeryshire, Carmarthenshire and Merionethshire, 1807-1910........."
    •  Kerry, Llanerfyl, Llanfair Caereinion and Mochdre, deeds  1617-1901    "The properties Neuadd Maes yr Hendre and Cwm yr Eneth were in the parishes of Mochdre and Kerry, Montgomeryshire........."