National Gazetteer, 1868
"CRIGGION, (or Cruggion), a township in the parish of Alberbury, hundred of Cawrse, in the county of Montgomery, 9 miles N.E. of Welshpool. It is situated on the river Severn, and is supposed by some antiquaries to be the spot where Caractacus was finally vanquished by Ostorius Scapula. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £108, in the patronage of V. Vickers, Esq. On Breiddon Hill, under which this village stands, is the Rodney pillar.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.