"FORDEN, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (N.) from Montgomery, containing 856 inhabitants. The Danes are said to have stationed themselves in this neighbourhood in the year 894, and to have been driven from it by the Saxons, after a long siege and severe conflict : their encampments are still visible on the Long Mountain and near Buttington. ... The House of Industry for the united district of Montgomery and Welshpool is situated in this parish : this district, which is about eighteen miles square, ... The church, which is situated about half a mile to the west of the road from Welshpool to Montgomery, is built in the ancient style of English architecture, and was enlarged in 1830, ... [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833]
Blockley, Kevin. Excavations in the vicinity of Forden Gaer Roman fort, Powys, 1987. Montgomeryshire Collections (Transactions of the Powys-land Club) 78 (1990), p. 17-46 Parish of Forden: Parish Church of St.Michael, Ebenezer Conregational Chapel, Forden Union Workhouse: memorial inscriptions. [S.1.] : Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society, 1999. 106p
Morris, J Griffith and Mary Newill Owen Forden Union during the Napoleonic Wars 1795-1816; being extracts from the minute books of Forden Union Collections historical & archaeological relating to Montgomeryshire Vol 37 1915 Welsh Journals Online
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 5270 acres; Population 485 males, 395 females, total 880
Forden Parish Church Attendance - morning 153 + 64 scholars, afternoon 42 + 61 scholars W Jones Thomas, Curate
Chapel of the House of Industry of the Montgomery and Pool Union Attendance - morning 32 + 12 scholars "The number of Inmates is few at present and many sick or infirm" Edwd. D Green Chaplain
Independent Chapel and house Erected 1826 Attendance - afternoon 35, evening 46 James Hamer, Deacon
Wesleyan Methodists Not used exclusively as a place of worship Attendance - morning 23 "The schedule is for two houses, in which the same Congregation worships alternately morning and evening, and occasionally in the afternoon" Edward Watson, Wesleyan Minister, Welshpool
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Forden chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Aug 2009)
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Baptisms 1598-1748, 1751-1807, 1813-1878; Marriages 1598-1748, 1751-1980; Burials 1598-1748, 1751-1807, 1813-1920. House of Industry- Baptisms 1795-1863; Burials 1795-1864
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the Herefordshire Archives