GENUKI Home page
Guilsfield Guilsfield   Contents & Search Contents

GUILSFIELD


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"GUILSFIELD, a parish in the hundred and borough of Pool, county Montgomery, North Wales, 3 miles N. of Welshpool, its post town. It is situated near the banks of the river Severn. The parish includes the townships of, Bromarth, Burgedin, Garth, and several other small places. The Montgomeryshire canal passes through the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value 360, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a very ancient font. There is a free school with an endowment of 15 per annum, and other charities produce about 40. In the vicinity are traces of the abbey of Strata Marcella, also of a Roman road and camp."

"BURGEDIN, a township in the parish of Guilsfield, and hundred of Pool, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 2 miles to the N. of Welshpool."

"GARTH, a township in the parish of Guilsfield, county Montgomery, 2 miles N. of Welshpool."

"GUNGROG-FECHAN, a township in the parish of Guilsfield, hundred of Pool, county Montgomery, close to the Gunrog-Fawr."

"HENDREHEN, a township in the parish of Guilsfield, county Montgomery, 2 miles N. of Welshpool."

"LLAN, a township in the parish of Guilsfield, hundred and borough of Pool, county Montgomery, 3 miles N. of Welshpool. It is situated near the Montgomery canal and the river Severn. The village of Guilsfield is in this township."

"LLANERCHROCHWELL, a township in the parish of Guilsfield and borough of Welshpool, county Montgomery, 2 miles from Welshpool, and 7 from Llanfair."

"RHELESKIN, a township in the parish of Guilsfield, hundred of Pool, county Montgomery, 3 miles N.W. of Welshpool. It is situated in the valley of the Severn, near the Montgomery canal."

"TIRYMYNECH, a township in the parish of Guilsfield, county Montgomery, 2 miles N. of Welshpool, within which borough it is situated. It formerly belonged to the monks of Strata Florida."

"TRELYDAN, a township in the parish of Guilsfield, county Montgomery, 2 miles N. of Welshpool."

"TROWSCOED, a township in the parish of Guilsfield, county Montgomery, 3 miles N. of Welshpool."

"UPPER BRONIARTH, (and Lower Broniarth) townships in the parish of Guilsfield, hundred of Pool, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 4 miles to the N.W. of Welsh Pool.

"VAREHOL, a township in the parish of Guilsfield, county Montgomery, 5 miles N.W. of Welshpool, on the Guilsfield canal."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

GUILSFIELD (CEGIDVA), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of POOL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 2 3/4 miles (N.) from Welshpool, containing 2994 inhabitants. This parish, the Welsh name of which signifies a place abounding with hemlock, is bounded on the east by the river Severn: the turnpike road from Welshpool to Oswestry runs through it, one branch passing through the village, and the other, which is the most frequented, in a direction parallel with the river Severn, and between it and the Montgomeryshire canal. It contains about sixteen thousand acres of land, the greater part of which consists of old enclosures : about two thousand acres were enclosed by an act passed in 1787.

There are several genteel residences near the village, among which the splendid mansion of Garth claims particular notice : it is a modern structure in the decorated style of English architecture, built by the late Rev. Richard Mytton, at an expense of nearly 100,000. There is a flannel - manufactory at Pool Quay, a hamlet in this parish. The river Severn is navigable up to this hamlet, and the Montgomeryshire canal passes through the eastern part of the parish : a branch from the latter extends from near Trederwen vor to within half a mile of the village of Guilsfield, a distance of about three miles, and was constructed a few years ago, at an expense of 2000. The petty sessions for the hundred were held here until the year 1830, when they were removed to Welshpool : the townships of Gungrog-Vechan and Trelydan, and part of those of Garth, Hendrehen, Llan with Trawscoed, Llanerchrochwell, Tyrymyneich, and Varchwel, are within the liberties of that borough.

The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at 11, endowed with a fourth part of the tithes (the remainder belonging to Christ Church College, Oxford), and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is in the decorated style of English architecture, and consists of a nave, with a clerestory, north and south aisles, and a lofty square embattled tower, surmounted by a shingled spire. The aisles are each separated from the nave by a row of four arches, supported by massive pillars : over the south aisle there is a gallery, and another at the west end of the church. The roof is divided into compartments, handsomely adorned with carved work : the font is of considerable antiquity, and in the windows is some ancient stained glass. Among the monuments there is a handsome one of veined marble to the memory of the Rev. James Egerton and his family. The churchyard is ornamented with twelve exceedingly fine yew trees, which, according to a document in the possession of John Jones, Esq., of Crosswood, were planted in the reign of William and Mary, and are all of the same age.

The parish register commences in the year 1573, and is the oldest in this part of the country. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. A National school for boys and girls, in which about one hundred are at present instructed, is supported partly by subscription, and partly by a rent-charge of 10 on a farm in the township of Llanerchrochwell, bequeathed by Stephen Thomas. Divers bequests have been made for the benefit of the poor, the produce of which is chiefly distributed in bread and clothing : among the principal are, the sum of 110 by John Davies, in 1731 ; a rent-charge of 5 by William Jones, in 1735; 200 by Charles Christopher, in 1757; and 90 by Elizabeth Lloyd, in 1778.

On a high hill, called the Garva (Gaer Vawr), not far from the village, are vestiges of a Roman encampment ; and beyond it a Roman road may be traced for nearly a mile, on the road to Pont-yscowryd. Several ornaments of gold, supposed to be relics of the Romans, have been found near this camp .: one is in the shape of a wild boar, about two inches long and one high, which probably decorated a helmet, and is now in the possession of D. Mytton, Esq., M.D. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to 1215. 3.

 

GARTH

GARTH, a township in the parish of GUILSFIELD, hundred of POOL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (N.) from Welshpool. The population is returned with the parish. It lies contiguous to the village of Guilsfield, on the south-west, and a part of it is within the liberties of the borough of Welshpool. There are many respectable residences in different parts of the township, the principal of which is an elegant modern mansion, erected in the early style of English architecture, by the late Rev. Richard Mytton, at an expense amounting to nearly 100,000.

GUNGROG-VECHAN

GUNGROG-VECHAN (GYNGROG-VECHAN), a township in the parish of GUILSFIELD, within the limits of the borough of WELSHPOOL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 1 mile (N. E.) from Welshpool. The population is returned with the parish. It is within the liberties of the borough of Welshpool, and occupies an eminence on the left bank of the river Severn. The Ellesmere and Montgomeryshire canal passes through this township, which is nearly surrounded by the parish of Welshpool, and is therefore placed within the new limits of that borough, under the late Reform Act.

LLANERCHROCHWELL

LLANERCHROCHWELL (LLANERCH-VROCH-WEL), a township in the parish of GUILSFIELD, lower division of the hundred of POOl., county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (N. W.) from Welshpool. The population is returned with the parish. It lies near the road from Guilsfield to Llanvair, which is here crossed by another from Welshpool to Meivod. Many respectable residences are situated in this township, and there are a few houses of singular appearance in a pass between the mountains, termed Bwlch Aeddan, from having been anciently fortified by the chieftain: whose name it bears. The ground in the vicinity, though hilly, is well cultivated : the township is within the liberties of the borough of Welshpool.

 

TIRYMYNACH

TIRYMYNACH (TIR Y MYNEICH), a township in the parish of GUILSFIELD, hundred of POOL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (E.) from Welshpool. The population is included in the return for the parish. The name signifies " the Monks' Ground," and is derived from the circumstance of the township having at one time formed a part of the possessions of the abbey of Strata Marcella, in the neighbouring parish of Welshpool ; a portion of it, amounting to about five hundred acres, is at the present period tithe-free. The surrounding country is well cultivated and productive.

TRELYDAN

TRELYDAN, a township in the parish of GUILSFIELD, hundred of POOL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES,. 2 miles (N. by E.) from Welshpool, containing 74 inhabitants. It is within the liberties of the borough of Welshpool.

VARCHWEL

VARCHWEL, a township in the parish of GUILSFIELD, partly in the hundred of POOL, and partly in the liberties of the borough of WELSHPOOL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (N. E.) from Welshpool. The population is included in the return for the parish. The Guilsfield branch of the Montgomeryshire canal commences near this place.

(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 24 Oct 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI