Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Parish of Hirnant : Parish Church of St Illog, Pen Nebo Wesleyan Methodist Chapel : memorial inscriptions. [S.l.] : Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society, c1997. 44p
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 4000 acres; Population 157 males, 151 females, total 308
- Hirnant Parish Church Attendance - morning 62 + 16 scholars, afternoon 35 + 20 scholars Evening service in Welsh Wm Edwd Williams, Rector
- *Pen Nebo, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1833 Attendance - morning 42 scholars, afternoon 60, evening 53 John Ashford, Member
- *Pen Nebo, Wesleyan (See above return) Erected 1831 Attendance - morning 50 scholars, afternoon 74, evening 60 Rich. Prichard, Minister, Llanfyllin
- Hebron Chapel, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1835 Attendance - morning 30, afternoon 45, evening 40 (No signature) Head Elder
Church of St Illog, Hirnant on the Montgomeryshire Churches Survey site
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Montgomeryshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1600-1, 1614-15, 1620-36, 1640-7, 1651, 1653-7, 1662, 1673-7, 1680-2, 1685-1706, 1720-1992; Marriages 1601, 1614-15, 1620-36, 1640-7, 1653, 1656, 1688-1706, 1720-1971; Burials 1600-1, 1614-15, 1620-36, 1640-7, 1653-7, 1662, 1673-7, 1680-2, 1685-1706, 1720-1990
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW, Denbighshire Archives and/or Flintshire Archives
St Asaph Notitiae; Deanery of Pool, parish of Hirnant 1681? - on the NLW site
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Hirnant which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Hirnant has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ050229 (Lat/Lon: 52.795251, -3.410399), Hirnant which are provided by: