"HIRNANT, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of LLANVYLLIN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 7 1/2 miles (W. N. W.) from Llanvyllin, containing 290 inhabitants. The village is situated in a small valley, enclosed by lofty hills, and watered by an inconsiderable stream, tributary to the Tanat. Peat is procured within the parish, for the consumption of the inhabitants. ... The church, dedicated to St. Illog, is a building of considerable antiquity." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 4000 acres; Population 157 males, 151 females, total 308
Hirnant Parish Church Attendance - morning 62 + 16 scholars, afternoon 35 + 20 scholars Evening service in Welsh Wm Edwd Williams, Rector
*Pen Nebo, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1833 Attendance - morning 42 scholars, afternoon 60, evening 53 John Ashford, Member
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Baptisms 1600-1, 1614-15, 1620-36, 1640-7, 1651, 1653-7, 1662, 1673-7, 1680-2, 1685-1706, 1720-1992; Marriages 1601, 1614-15, 1620-36, 1640-7, 1653, 1656, 1688-1706, 1720-1971; Burials 1600-1, 1614-15, 1620-36, 1640-7, 1653-7, 1662, 1673-7, 1680-2, 1685-1706, 1720-1990
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW, Denbighshire Archives and/or Flintshire Archives
St Asaph Notitiae; Deanery of Pool, parish of Hirnant 1681? - on the NLW site