GENUKI Home page
Hirnant Hirnant   Contents & Search Contents

HIRNANT


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HIRNANT, a parish in the hundred of Llanfyllin, county Montgomery, 6 miles N.W. of Llanfyllin, and 3 from Llanganog. Oswestry is its post town. The parish contains the townships of Cwmmwr, Fedw, and Llan. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a rectory* in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, value 135, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Illog. The parochial charities produce about 4 per annum. In the vicinity are some earthworks."

"CWMMWR, a township in the parish of Hirnant, in the county of Montgomery, 5 miles N.W. of Llanfyllin."

"FEDW, a township in the parish of Hirnant, county Montgomery, 6 miles N.W. of Llanfyllin."

"LLAN, a township in the parish of Hirnant, hundred of Llanfyllin, county Montgomery, 6 miles N.W. of Llanfyllin."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

HIRNANT, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of LLANVYLLIN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 7 1/2 miles (W. N. W.) from Llanvyllin, containing 290 inhabitants. The village is situated in a small valley, enclosed by lofty hills, and watered by an inconsiderable stream, tributary to the Tanat. Peat is procured within the parish, for the consumption of the inhabitants. In the year 1830, an unsuccessful attempt to procure lead-ore was made on a high hill in the township of Cwmmwr, between the village and the adjoining parish of Llangynog, the lead mines in which are upon the northern side of the same hill, at no great distance. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at 4. 3. 11 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Illog, is a building of considerable antiquity. David Humphreys, by will dated in 1718, bequeathed 10 for the benefit of the poor. Not far from the church is a well, called Fynnon Illog, formerly much resorted to for the cure of diseases ; but it is doubtful whether it ever possessed any medicinal properties. On the summit of an eminence, called Carnedd Illog, there is a tumulus, which is supposed to have been raised over the remains of the tutelar saint. Upon a hill on the south-eastern side of the parish, bordering upon that of Llanrhaiadr, there is a large intrenchment, about four hundred yards in length, called Clawdd Mawr, the mounds of which are distinctly visible; and about two miles from this, on an opposite hill on the northern side, adjoining the parish of Pennant, is another, less distinctly traceable. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to 87. 11.

(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 6 July 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI