"HYSSINGTON, a parish in the hundreds of Montgomery and Chirbury, in the counties of Montgomery and Salop, 4 miles from Bishop's Castle, its post town, and 4 from Montgomery. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £161. There are some trifling charities."
HYSSINGTON (called by the Welsh IS-ATTYN), a parish partly in the hundred of CHIRBURY, county of SALOP, but chiefly in the lower division of the hundred of MONTGOMERY, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Montgomery, containing 337 inhabitants. The village is situated at the foot of a mountain, rising to the height of upwards of one thousand seven hundred feet above the level of the sea, and forming the forest of Corndon, or Carn Attyn, which is partly within the parish : this mountain has three summits, formed by three cairns, the supposed sepulchres of some ancient British heroes, which command extensive views, embracing the Welsh mountains, and the Wrekin, Clee, Malvern, and other hills, together with the Black Mountain in Herefordshire. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £ 600 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1100 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Church-stoke. The church is a small structure, in the early style of English architecture, and appears to have been built within the precincts of an ancient castle, of which some vestiges may be distinctly traced upon the summit of a small rocky eminence adjoining the church-yard. Upon an old bell in the steeple, now broken, was inscribed, in Saxon characters, " Sancta Etheldreda, ora pro nobis." Upon a farm in this parish, called "the Llan," are the remains of an ancient encampment. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 94. 17.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)