"LLANBRYNMAIR, a parish in the hundred of Machynlleth, county Montgomery, 8 miles E. of Machynlleth, its post town, and 15 N.W. of Newtown. It is a station on the Aberystwith and Welsh Coast, and Newtown and Machynlleth railways. It is situated on a tributary of the river Dyfi. The parish includes the townships of Dolgadfan, Pennant, Rhiewsaison, Tirymynach, and Trefolwern. The district is mountainous, and there are two waterfalls, one of 130 feet. A large portion of the land is pasture. There is a lead mine. It belongs to the families of Conroy and Wynn. The manufacture of coarse woollens and flannel has been carried on to some extent for several years, but the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agricultural pursuits. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bangor, value £330, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Here are two endowed schools, one founded by Dr. Williams, with £36 per annum, and one called Lloyd's school, with £18 per annum. In the neighbourhood are several Druidical circles. Fairs are held on the Friday before the 10th March, 31st May, 16th September, and 25th November, for the sale of live stock."
"DOLGADFAN, a township in the parish of Llanbrynmair, in the county of Montgomery, 9 miles E. of Machynlleth."
"PENNANT, a township in the parish of Llanbrynmair, county Montgomery, 9 miles N.W. of Llanidloes. It contains the cascade of Ffrwdd Fawr, which has a perpendicular descent of 130 feet. There is also another waterfall at the head of the Twymyn."
"RHIEWSAISON, a township in the parish of Llanbrynmair, county Montgomery, 10 miles N.W. of Llanidloes."
"TIRYMYNACH, a township in the parish of Llanbrynmair, county Montgomery, 9 miles N.W. of Llanidloes."
"TREFOLWERN, a township in the parish of Llanbrynmair, county Montgomery, 10 miles N.E. of Machynlleth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
LLANBRYNMAIR (LLAN-BRYN-MAIR), a parish in the hundred of MACHYNLLETH, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 10 miles (E.) from Machynlleth, comprising the Upper and Lower divisions, and containing 2040 inhabitants, of which number, 1067 are in the Upper, and 973 in the Lower, division. This parish extends more than eleven miles in length, and seven in breadth, and comprehends a large portion of mountainous land, affording good pasturage during the summer for sheep and young cattle, and considerable tracts of meadow and arable land, which have been brought into a good state of cultivation. The inhabitants obtain their letters from the Wynnstay Arms, a posting-house eleven miles from Machynlleth, on the road to Newtown, and about a mile and a half to the north-east of the village, which is pleasantly situated on an eminence commanding extensive prospects over the surrounding country, of which the scenery is richly and beautifully diversified. About four miles to the south-east of the village, in the township of Pennant, are two fine waterfalls near each other, of which the principal, called Frwd Vawr, is very grand, especially after heavy rains, the water having a perpendicular descent of more than one hundred and thirty feet. In the township of Tirymyneich, near Talerddig, is another waterfall, called Nant ysgolion ; and at Glyn Yal, in the same neighbourhood, is a stratum of hard rock, which has been hollowed into the form of an arch by the waters of a brook, and in a late formation of a new road cut through the rock. The road from Machynlleth to Carno, through this parish, is highly picturesque in many parts; and, from the higher grounds, the principal mountains in North Wales, and the beautiful Vales of Llanbrynmair, Pennant, and Carno, are seen to great advantage. In the township of Pennant there are lead mines ; and flannel is manufactured in the parish, which forms the western extremity of the district in Montgomeryshire in which this trade is carried on. The principal fuel of the inhabitants is peat, which is procured within the limits of the parish. Fairs for horses, cattle, and sheep, are annually held on the Friday before the 10th of March, May 31st, September 16th, and November 25th.
The living consists of a rectory and a vicarage, in the arch-deaconry and diocese of St. Asaph : the former, which is a sinecure, is rated in the king's books at £4. 14.9 1/2.; and the latter, which is discharged, at £4.8. 1 1/2.; both are in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure : the interior is ornamented with some beautiful specimens of ancient carving in oak ; and in the churchyard are some yew trees of fine growth and of great age. At Talerddig was formerly a chapel of ease, but it has gone wholly to decay, and no remains of it can now be traced. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. Morgan Lloyd, Esq., in 1702, bequeathed in trust to the vicar and overseers of this parish the yearly produce of a tenement in the parish of Trev-eglwys, to be distributed according to their discretion, for the benefit of the parish of Llanbrynmair : these trustees have invariably endowed a parochial school with one-half of the rents, and distributed the remainder among the poor. The Independents have erected various buildings in different parts of this extensive parish, which are appropriated to the use of Sunday schools. On Newydd Mynyddog hill, in the township of Tirymyneich, are two Druidical circles, formed of large upright stones placed at unequal distances from each other : the larger of these circles is twenty-seven, and the other twenty-four yards in diameter ; and on some higher ground in the immediate vicinity is a circle of smaller stones, nine yards in diameter, which, from its commanding situation, appears to have been an exploratory station. At Tavolwern Mill, in the township of Tavolwern, is a small tumulus. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to
£ 1118. 7.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)