"LLANDINAM, a parish in the hundred of Llanidloes, county Montgomery, 5 miles N.E. of Llanidloes, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Newtown. It is a station on the Cambrian and Welshpool line of railway. It lies at the base of the Llandinam mountains, which rise to the height of 1,895 feet, and is watered by the river Severn. The parish includes the townships of Banhaglog, Dethynydd, Hengynwydd, and several others. Many of the people are employed in flannel weaving, and in the coarse woollen manufacture. The village is situated on the brink of a cliff overhanging the river. The living is a vic, in the diocese of Bangor, value £270, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Llonio, possesses a singular wooden belfry. There is also the district church of Banhaglog, the living of which is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the bishop. On the summit of Cefn Carnedd is an ancient camp called Caer Sws, about 200 yards in diameter. The charities amount to about £18 per annum. There are traces of several entrenchments."
"BANHAGLOG, a chapelry in the parish of Llandinam, and hundred of Llanidloes, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 4 miles to the N.E. of Llanidloes. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, and in the gift of the bishop."
"CARNED, a township in the parish of Llandinam, hundred of Llanidloes, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 6 miles to the N. of Llanidloes. It is in a hilly country, near the river Severn."
"DETHYNYDD, a township in the parish of Llandinam, in the county of Montgomery, 4 miles N.E. of Llanidloes."
"ESKIRMAEN, a township in the parish of Llandinam, county Montgomery, 5 miles N.E. of Llanidloes."
"GWERNERIM, a township in the parish of Llandinam, county Montgomery, 5 miles W. of Newtown. It is situated on the river Severn."
"HENGYNWYDD, a township in the parish of Llandinam, county Montgomery, 5 miles N.E. of Llanidloes."
"MAESMAWR, a township in the parish of Llandinam, county Montgomery, 5 miles S.W. of Newtown."
"RHYDFAES, a township in the parish of Llandinam, hundred of Llanidloes, county Montgomery, 5 miles N.E. of Llanidloes, and 6 S.W. of Newton. It is situated in the vale of the Severn, under Caer Sws camp and the Plinlimmon mountains."
"TREWYTHAN, a hamlet in the parish of Llandinam, county Montgomery, 6 miles N.E. of Llanidloes."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
LLANDINAM (LLAN-DINAM), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (E. N. E.) from Llanidloes, on the road from Newtown to Aberystwith, containing 1015 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south-west by the Llandinam mountain, which forms also a boundary between the counties of Montgomery and Radnor, and, rising to the height of one thousand eight hundred feet above the level of the sea, commands from its summit an extensive view of the surrounding country. The village is beautifully situated on the south-eastern bank of the river Severn, which flows smoothly through a narrow but highly cultivated vale, bounded by hanging woods of luxuriant foliage, which in many places impend over its stream, and through which also the road winds in a direction parallel with its course ; the scenery of this small vale is pleasingly picturesque, and in some parts highly romantic ; and from the summit of Carnedd hill a fine view is obtained of the Vale of Severn, with the windings of the river, and the beautiful country on each of its banks. All the waste lands have been allotted among the freeholders, under the "Arustley Enclosure Act," obtained in 1816, and have chiefly been enclosed and brought under cultivation. The manufacture of flannel is carried on to a moderate extent, affording employment to a portion of the inhabitants, The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £7. 3. 1 1/2., and in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Bishop of Bangor, The rectory, divided into two comportions, and valued in the king's books at £22, was, by act of parliament in the 1st of James II., vested in the Dean and Chapter of Bangor, in trust, to appropriate one-third to the augmentation of the vicarages within the said comportions, and the remainder to the repairs of the cathedral church, and the maintenance of its choir. The church, dedicated to St. Llonio, a saint of the sixth century, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a square embattled tower, and is said to have been partly erected with the materials of the ruined fortifications of Caer-Sws : the western entrance is through a lofty and finely pointed arch under the tower, leading into the nave, and the interior is appropriately ornamented. At Pen Halwg, in the township of Hengynwith, stood an ancient chapel of ease to the mother church, which was rebuilt in 1826, on the site of the former structure, and is situated six miles distant from the parish church : it is a neat plain edifice of stone,, adapted to the accommodation of three hundred persons. There are places of worship for Welsh Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. A parochial school, in which the poor children of the parish are gratuitously instructed, is supported by subscription ; and there are Sunday schools in connexion with the established church and the several dissenting congregations. Within the parish are three British encampments, of which the most perfect is that called the " Moat," about a mile nearly south-east from the Roman station at Caer-Sws, in the parish of Llanwnnog : it comprehends a quadrilateral area of about three acres, having the entrance at the lower extremity, and is defended by a strong intrenchment surrounded with a fosse. Connected with this camp is another of smaller dimensions, similarly fortified, and terminating with a high mound of earth entirely surrounded by a broad and deep moat ; and about a quarter of a mile distant, on the summit of an eminence, is another, called Caer-Vechan, which, from its greater elevation, appears to have been an exploratory station. Several silver coins of the reign of Edward III., and of later date, have been found in this parish ; and near the bridge over the Severn to Caer-Sws an urn containing ashes was discovered, about thirty years ago. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £ 1447. 4.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 8 Aug 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996