"LLANDRINIO, a parish in the hundred of Deythur, county Montgomery, 9 miles E. of Llanfyllin, 9 S. of Oswestry, its post town, and 13 from Shrewsbury. It is situated on the northern bank of the Severn, at the confluence of the river Vyrnwy. Offa's Dyke and the Montgomery canal pass through the parish, which includes the townships of Llan and Trederwen. The soil is productive, and the land well cultivated. The tithes were commuted in 1840. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £580, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Trinio, is an old structure, recently restored. The Baptists have a chapel, built in 1829, and there is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The parochial endowments amount to about £15 per annum. Llandrinio Hall is the principal residence."
"LLAN, a township in the parish of Llandrinio, hundred of Deythur, county Montgomery, 8 miles N.E. of Welshpool, and 9 E. of Llanfyllin. It is situated at the junction of the rivers Severn and Vyrnwy, and near the Montgomery canal and Offa's Dyke. The land is generally fertile."
"PENTHRYN-FAWR and PENTHRYN-FECHAN, townships in the parish of Llandrinio, hundred of Deythur, county Montgomery, 6 miles N.E. of Welshpool, and 9 E. of Llanfillyn. It is situated near the confluence of the Vyrnwy with the Severn."
"TREDERWEN, a township in the parish of Llandrinio, county Montgomery, 5 miles N.E. of Welshpool."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
LLANDRINIO (LLAN-DRINIO), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of DEYTHUR, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 9 miles (N. E. by N.) from Welshpool, containing 863 inhabitants. This parish is situated at the eastern extremity of the county, on the road from Shrewsbury to Bala through Llanvyllin, in an angle near the confluence of the rivers Severn and Vyrnwy, over the former of which, near the church, is a stone bridge of three arches. It is considered to be one of the most fertile in the principality, the lands contiguous to those rivers being covered, when they overflow their banks, with a rich slimy sediment, which contributes materially to increase their fertility. The waste lands were enclosed under an act of parliament passed in 1787, and are now in a good state of cultivation. The river Severn, which is here navigable, bounds the parish on the east and south-east; and the Montgomeryshire canal intersects the western part of it, through which also passes the road from Welshpool to Oswestry. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of New Chapel annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £24. 16. 10 1/2., and held in commendam by the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Trinio, an ancient structure in the early style of English architecture, was thoroughly repaired and the steeple rebuilt in the year 1829, at which time thirty-eight additional sittings were formed, which, together with forty formerly appropriated, were made free, in consideration of a grant from the Incorporated Society for building, enlarging, and repairing churches and chapels : in the churchyard are thirteen fine yew trees of luxuriant growth. There is a place of worship for Independents. A National school, in which sixty children are at present instructed, is supported by subscription : the school-house was erected in 1827, partly by subscription and partly by a grant of £ 100 from the National School Society in London. Mrs. Margaret Pitts, in 1722, bequeathed £40 to the poor of Tredderwen Veibion Gwnas, in this parish ; Mrs. Long bequeathed £20 to seven poor widows; and Mrs. Mary Derwas bequeathed £ 100, the interest of which she directed to be applied to the purchase of gowns for the poor : the interest of these sums, together with that of £ 15 bequeathed by Mrs. Aldersey, is annually distributed among the poor. Mr. Evans also bequeathed £ 100 to the poor of this parish, but his bequest was rendered invalid by the statute of mortmain. Offa's Dyke passes through the western part of the parish, and may be distinctly traced. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £397. 12.
NEWCHAPEL, a chapelry in the parish of LLANDRINIO, upper division of the hundred of DEYTHUR, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (N.) from Welshpool. The population is returned with the parish. The name of this place is of obvious derivation, The chapel is conveniently situated on the confines of the parishes of Guilsfield, Llansantfraid, and Meivod, affording accommodation to the inhabitants of those several parishes who reside at a distance from the parish church : it is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and is an ancient building in the early style of English architecture, in a very dilapidated state. The living is a perpetual curacy, locally in the archdeaconry, and in the diocese of St. Asaph, endowed by the lord of the manor, the proprietor of the Penrhos estate, and with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Major Gore, as lord of the manor. A free school has been established in this place for more than two hundred years : it was originally supported by the produce arising from lands which were given for that purpose by the neighbouring gentry, but, when the enclosure of waste lands took place, about sixty acres were allotted for the support of this establishment, and the lands previously given were returned to their original proprietors. The school, in which about forty children are gratuitously instructed, is open to all the inhabitants of the hundred of Deythur: there is a good house for the master. In the chapelry is one of Dr. Bray's parochial circulating libraries.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 17 Oct 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996