"LLANDYSSIL, a parish in the hundred of Newtown, county Montgomery, 2 miles S.W. of Montgomery, and 12 from Welshpool, its post town. It is situated near the banks of the river Severn, and includes the townships of Bolbro, Bryntalch, Bronywood, and Rhandir. Woollen weaving is carried on to some extent. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £373, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff. The charities belonging to the parish amount to about £10 per annum. There are the remains of British camps in the neighbourhood."
"ABERMULE, a village in the parish of Llandyssil, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 5 miles N.E. of Newtown. It is pleasantly situated at the confluence of the river Mule with the Severn."
"BOLBROUGH, a township in the parish of Llandyssil, hundred of Newtown, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 2 miles from Montgomery."
"BRON-Y-WOOD, a township in the parish of Llandyssil, hundred of Newtown, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 2 miles from Montgomery. It is near the river Severn."
"BRYNTALCH, a township in the parish of Llandyssil, hundred of Newtown, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 2 miles from Montgomery. It is near the river Severn."
"RHANDIR, a township in the parish of Llandyssil, hundred of Newtown, county Montgomery, 2 miles S.W. of Montgomery, near the river Severn."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
LLANDYSSIL (LLAN-DYSSUL), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of NEWTOWN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Montgomery, containing 914 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on the left of the road from Montgomery to Newtown, and the neighbourhood commands some interesting views and varied and extensive prospects. From the Goronddu hill the rich Vale of Severn is seen to great advantage, with the windings of the river, which forms the northern boundary of the parish. The manufacture of flannel is here carried on upon a limited scale. The living consists of a rectory and a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, united by an act of parliament in the 29th and 30th of the reign of Charles II.: the former, which was a sinecure, is rated in the king's books at £ 14, and the latter at £7.10.10.: it is in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Tysul, is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A Sunday school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children is principally supported by the rector, by whom it was originally established. Jeremiah and Anne Reynolds, in 1711, bequeathed certain lands producing about £ 4 per annum ; Mr. Hugh Lewis gave a rent-charge of £2 ; and Charles Jones and John Griffiths bequeathed rent-charges of ten shillings each, the produce of all which benefactions is annually distributed among the poor. On the lofty hill of Goronddu, and on the banks of the Severn opposite to Glanhavren, are remains of several ancient British encampments in a greater or less degree of preservation. This is one of the eighteen parishes and townships forming the united district of Montgomery and Pool, incorporated for the joint maintenance of their poor in the house of industry at Forden, under acts of the 32nd and 36th of George III.: the average annual expenditure for the support of the poor of Llandyssil amounts to £312.7.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 14 Aug 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996