"LLANERVUL (LLAN-ERVUL), a parish in two divisions, Lower and Upper, in the upper division of the hundred of MATHRAVAL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Llanvair, containing 989 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Ervul, appears to have bcen a place of some importance at a very early period, and abounds with vestiges of British and Roman antiquity : it extends nearly eight miles in length and three in breadth, and is pleasantly situated in the vale of the river Banwy, the whole of which, with its encircling hills, is included in this and the adjoining parishes of Llangadvan and Garthbeibio. ... The church, dedicated to St. Ervul, is an ancient structure ... " [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833]



Edwards, Griffith. The works of the Rev. Griffith Edwards (Gutyn Padarn), M.A., F.R.H.S., late Vicar of Llangadfan, Montgomeryshire : parochial histories of Llangadfan, Garthbeibio, and Llanerfyl, Montgomeryshire, together with Welsh and English poetry. London : Elliot Stock, 1895. 296p Parish of Llanerfyl: Nonconformist Cemetery, Bethel Independent Chapel, Gosen Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Beulah Independent Chapel: memorial inscriptions. [S.1.] : Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society , 2002. 46p

Silvester, R J. A lithic scatter on Mynydd Carreg-y-big, Llanerfyl. Montgomeryshire Collections (Transactions of the Powys-land Club) 80 (1992), p. 31-7



Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Llanerfyl 1841-1901


Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish statistics; Area 16255 acres; Population 468 males, 443 females, total 911

  •  Llanerfyl Parish Church           Attendance - morning 40, evening 28          Services in Welsh            Lewis Richards, Deacon
  • Philadelphia, Wesleyan Methodists             Erected 1836                 Attendance - morning 32, afternoon 30 scholars, evening 84                  David Davies, Chapel Steward, Llanerfyl
  • Bethel, Independent or Congregationalist              Erected 1824              Attendance - morning 57, afternoon 24 scholars, evening 38              Revd. E Roberts, Minister
  • Beulah Chapel, Independent                 Erected 1821             Attendance - morning 62 scholars, afternoon 110, evening 70                    "Tir Uchaf S. School in the same parish belongs to this Beulah Chapel Congregation"            Samuel Roberts, Minister, Llanbrynmair
  • Gosen, Wesleyan Methodist             Erected 1835                  Attendance - morning 50, afternoon 50, evening 40                  Evan Davies, Superintendant, Ty Mawr, Llanerfyl
  • New Chapel, Wesleyan Methodists          Erected 1842                Attendance - morning 13 scholars, afternoon 35, evening 34                Evan Jones, Chapel Steward, Pantyrhendre, nr Llanerfyl

Church of St Erfyl, Llanerfyl on the Montgomeryshire Churches Survey site

Independent churches on the Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society site - Bethel, and Beulah

Calvinistic Methodist (Presbyterian) churches on the Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society site - Gosen

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru   (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Beulah  section (in Welsh) has been extracted- with translation by Maureen Saycell (Aug 2009)           Also Llanerfyl chapel  - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Oct 2009)  


Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Montgomeryshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

  • Baptisms 1626-40, 1643-5, 1648, 1660, 1662-71, 1674-1991; Marriages 1626-36, 1663-70, 1674-1970; Burials 1626-45, 1652-3, 1660, 1662-71, 1674-1907
    Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives(where there may be a more complete coverage within the  dates shown above).  
    Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW, Denbighshire Archives and/or Flintshire Archives 

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanerfyl which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanerfyl to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanerfyl has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Land and Property

Pen y Graig, a ruined farmstead. The 1850 Llanerfyl parish tithe map shows it as owned by Rev'd John Meredith Williams and rented by Edward Owen - on the People's Collection Wales site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Kerry, Llanerfyl, Llanfair Caereinion and Mochdre, deeds  1617-1901    "..................... The properties of Tyddyn y Gardden and Tyddyn y Gogrydd, now Rhyd-y-Gro, were in the parishes of Llanerfyl and Llanfair Caereinion, and were owned by Rees Thomas (fl. 1723-1748) and his descendants ......................."