We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llanfair Caereinion


Ballantyne, Hugh. The Welshpool and Llanfair Railway : a nostalgic trip along the whole route from Welshpool (GWR) to Llanfair Caereinion. Wadenhoe : Past & Present, 2001. 80p

Carver, B E V. Monumental inscriptions : Capel Horeb, Methodistiaid Calfinaidd Cymraeg : Horeb Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel : Llanfair Caereinion Montgomeryshire. Basingstoke : M. E. MacSorley, 1996. 16p

Carver, B E V. Monumental Inscriptions : Penarth Independent Chapel, Llanfair Caereinion, Montgomeryshire. Basingstoke : M. E. MacSorley, 1996. 21p

Carver, M D. Llanfair Caereinion tithe apportionment. Cronicl Powys. No. 19 (1988), p. 66-7

Carver, M D. Monumental inscriptions : Old Baptist Chapel Burial Ground and Zion Baptist Chapel : Llanfair Caereinion Montgomeryshire. Basingstoke : M.E. MacSorley, 1996. 6p

Carver, M D. The rise of Independency in the parish of Llanfair Caereinion, Montgomeryshire. Cronicl Powys. No. 11 (1985), p. 11-12

Cerdded o fewn o gwmpas Llanfair Caereinion = Walks in and around Llanfair Caereinion. Llanfair Caereinion : Llanfair Caereinion and District Forum, 2001. 16p

Davies, T Alun. Rural clockmaking in eighteenth-century Wales : Samuel Roberts of Llanfair Caereinion, 1775-1874. Business History Review 59/1 (1985), p. 49-75

Morrell, Emily. Llanfair Caereinion. [Llanfair Caereinion] : Paul Adams, [1988] 10p

Owen, Robert. The official handbook to the Lordship of Caereinion : containing the topography and history and several legendary tales of Llanfair and the other five Parishes of Caereinion ... Welshpool : R. & M. Owen, 1903. 46p Parish of Llanfair Caereinion : Bethlehem Welsh Presbyterian Chapel ... : memorial inscriptions. [S.l.] : Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society, 1997. 152p

Pryce, W T R. The photographer in rural Wales : a photographic archive of Llanfair Caereinion, Powys and its region, c.1865-1986. Llanfair Caereinion : Powysland Club, 1991.

Pryce, W T R et al. Samuel Roberts, Clockmaker: an C18th craftsman in a rural community   1985

Roberts, Merfyn. 109 'dan ni yma o hyd' : hanes addysg ganolradd, eilradd ac uwchradd yn Llanfair Caereinion 1894-2003. Llanfair Caereinion : Ysgol Caereinion, 2003. 10p

Spencer, Kirsten. Local walks around Welshpool and Llanfair Caereinion. Machynlleth : Kittiwake, 2003. 32p

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Midland Bank, Llanfair Caereinion branch, papers    " ............ including minutes; papers relating to the centenary of the Midland Bank in Llanfair Caereinion, 1980-1981;.........."  
  • R. D. Hughes & Sons, Grocer and Confectioner, Llanfair Caereinion business records   1913-1965   
  • Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway, papers   1897-1923     "Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway, Montgomeryshire, opened in 1903, linking the rural communities around Llanfair Caereinion to the market at Welshpool. The line carried only freight from 1931 and closed in 1956 ............"  
  • Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway, photographs  1971


Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Llanfair Caereinion 1841-1901

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Llanfair Caereinion St Mary's Church

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Mary's Church

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish statistics; Area 16157 acres; Population 1341 males, 1386 females, total 2727

  • Llanfair Caereinion Parish Church             Attendance - morning 72, afternoon 25       "Services .... alternately Welsh and English"            John Jones, Curate
  • Bethesda, Wesleyan Methodists         Erected 1819             Attendance - morning 72 + 52 scholars, evening 126 + 64 scholars             John Evans, Steward, Quarry, Llanfair
  • Lower Chapel, Welsh Calvinistic Methodists                Erected 1802                Attendance - morning 33 scholars, afternoon 377, evening 391              Thomas Hughes, Secretary, Grocer
  • Addolfa, Disciples                Erected 1849             (Note - this is a congregation of Campbellites)          Attendance - morning 71 scholars, afternoon 108, evening 111      William Watkin, Minister
  • Baptist Chapel, General Baptists                Erected 1825               Attendance - morning school, afternoon 155, evening 157              Richard Jones, Baptist Minister
  • Upper Chapel, Independents                 Erected 1816, rebuilt 1844            Attendance - morning 57 scholars, afternoon 66 scholars, evening 132          John Evans, Elder, Heniarth, Llanfair
  • Horeb, Calvinistic Methodists          Erected 1825                Attendance - morning 130 + 36 scholars, afternoon 87 scholars                    Edward Benbow, Deacon, Bronffyn, Llanfair
  • Penarth Congregational Chapel, Independent           Erected c 1785, rebuilt 1847             Attendance - afternoon 217       "Penarth Chapel is situated on the Borders of Llanvair and Manavon parishes. Many attend it from both parishes. It will contain about 350 hearers. Many attend the congregation and school every other Sunday, as they are obliged to remain at home to look after their infants and farms etc. ..................."   Robt. Dafydd Thomas, Minister
  • Canaan, Independent      Erected 1845                 Attendance - Morning 80, evening 22      "This place is connected with Penarth Chapel....."            Robt. Dafydd Thomas, Minister
  • Siloh, Independents         Erected 1826           Attendance - morning 69, afternoon 65 scholars, evening 76                      David Davies, Deacon, Tanyfawnog, Llanfair
  • Soar, Rhosaflo Township. Calvinistic Methodists                Erected 1826               Attendance - average -  morning 50 + 35 scholars, afternoon 70 + 60 scholars, evening 75       ""This Chapel is of a very small size erected for the accommodation of the Neighbourhood which was inconveniente to attend any other place of worship and it is well and regular attended by the inhabitants of the neighbourhood both Sunday School and Publick worship"           William Jones, Deacon, Penyrwtia, Llanfair
  • Pentyrch Chapel, Calvinistic Methodists      Erected 1830           Attendance - average - morning 50 + 40 scholars, afternoon 80 + 70 scholars, evening 75       David Gittins, Deacon, Pentyrch
  • Saron Chapel, Wesleyan                 Erected before 1817                  Attendance - afternoon 40 + 40 scholars, evening 30                       Evan Evans, Steward, Gwaenynog, Llanfair
  • Sardis, Calvinistic Methodists               Erected 1844            Attendance - morning 28, evening 17                   David Davies, Steward, Cefnymynydd, Llanfair
  • Dolanog Chapel, Independents          Erected 1805               Attendance - morning 22, evening 49             Thomas Hughes, Steward, Buarthbachog
  • Bethlehem, Welsh Calvinistic Connection                Erected 1824              Attendance - average - afternoon 75, evening 80                 John Nutting, Deacon, Pentre  

Church of St Mary, Llanfair Caereinion on the Montgomeryshire Churches Survey site

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Penuel  chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation               Also Penarth chapel   (with translation by Maureen Saycell [Dec 2009])       Also Llanfaircaereinion chapel (with translation by Maureen Saycell [Dec 2009])       Also Siloh chapel (with translation by Maureen Saycell [Dec 2009])  Also Dolanog chapel (with translation by Maureen Saycell [Dec 2009])            Also Canaan chapel - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Aug 2009)

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Montgomeryshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

  • Baptisms 1608-1622, 1624-1666, 1669-76, 1680-1702, 1723-1992; Marriages 1608-1622, 1624-43, 1662-6, 1670-6, 1680-1702, 1723-1955 ; Burials 1608-1622, 1624-1667, 1670-6, 1680-1702, 1723-1992
    Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives.  
    Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW, Denbighshire Archives and/or Flintshire Archives

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Capel Pentyrch, cofysgrifau (records)    "Adeiladwyd a sefydlwyd Capel Methodistiaid Calfinaidd Pentyrch, Four Crosses, Llanfair Caereinion, yn 1834. Gelwid y capel weithiau yn gapel y Gelli am ei fod wedi cael ei adeiladu ar dir y Gelli. Mae'r capel yn rhan o Ddosbarth Llanfair, Henaduriaeth Trefaldwyn Isaf."     "A certificate in order that marriages be registered for Pentyrch Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Llanfair Caereinion, 1 December 1948.

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanfair Caereinion which are provided by:

Victorian Powys for schools site - Llanfair Caereinion and district


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfair Caereinion has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Gelli estate, records     "Deeds relating to properties in Montgomeryshire, 1610-1890, including y Gelli and Pentyrch, Llanfair Caereinion"  
  • William Edwards of Ludlow: property in Montgomeryshire     "Deeds and other documents, 1809-1839, relating to property in Llanfair Caereinion and Manafon, Montgomeryshire"
  • Kerry, Llanerfyl, Llanfair Caereinion and Mochdre, deeds  1617-1901    "..................... The properties of Tyddyn y Gardden and Tyddyn y Gogrydd, now Rhyd-y-Gro, were in the parishes of Llanerfyl and Llanfair Caereinion, and were owned by Rees Thomas (fl. 1723-1748) and his descendants ......................."


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ104064 (Lat/Lon: 52.647884, -3.325830), Llanfair Caereinion which are provided by:

Map of Montgomeryshire parishes on Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society's site - shows dioceses

Victorian Powys for schools site - Llanfair Caereinion in 1836, and 1902

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanfair Caereinion Public Hall and Institute, minutes 1914-1956
  • Llanfair Caereinion Town Council records   1894-1981


Victorian Powys for schools site - Llanfair Caereinion - Victorian School Days