"LLANFECHAN, a parish in the hundred of Pool, county Montgomery, 3 miles E. of Llanfyllin, and 8 S.W. of Oswestry, its post town. It is situated on a tributary of the river Severn, and includes five townships, the principal of which is Bodyvol. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, vat. £530, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Garmon. The charities amount to about £12 per annum. There are traces of ancient camps, and remains of several old seats. Bryngwyn is the principal residence."
"BODYVOL, a township in the parish of Llanfechan, hundred of Pool, in the county of Montgomery, 4 miles to the E. of Llanfyllin."
"THE LLYS, a township in the parish of Llanfechan, county Montgomery, 2 miles E. of Llanfyllin."
"TRERLLAN, (Issa and Ucha) townships in the parish of Llanfechan, county Montgomery, 3 miles E. of Llanfyllin."
"YSTYMGYNNON, a township in the parish of Llanfechan, county Montgomery, 3 miles E. of Llanfyllin."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
LLANVECHAN, or LLAN-YN-MECHAIN, a parish in the hundred of Pool, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Llanvyllin. The population is returned with that of Guilsfield. The name of this place is derived from its situation nearly in the centre of a beautiful vale in the north-eastern part of the county, of circular form, and about three miles in diameter, watered by the meandering river Cain, and from that circumstance called Mechain, or Mach Cain, "the tract of the Cain." The parish comprises a considerable portion of fertile arable and pasture land, which is in a state of excellent cultivation ; and its entire surface, consisting of about five thousand acres, is now enclosed : the whole of the common and waste lands, together with those in the manors of Mechain Iscoed and Plas Dinas, were allotted and enclosed under the provisions of an act of parliament obtained in 1789. The turnpike road from Shrewsbury and Oswestry to Llanvyllin passes near the village, which has a prepossessing appearance, and derives much interest from the beauty of its situation. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £ 8. 15. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Garmon, is an ancient and venerable structure : near it is Fynnon Armon, the well of the patron saint, the water of which was formerly held in such veneration, that the baptismal font was invariably supplied with it. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. A National school, established in 1832, by the Rev. Thomas Griffith, curate of the parish, in which about eighty children are gratuitously instructed, is supported by subscription. Mrs. Anne Vaughan, in 1715, and Mr. John Moody, in 1718, severally gave, by deed, certain small portions of land ; and Mr. Charles Edwards, in 1727, and Dr. Wm. Wynne, in 1776, each gave £ 50 in money, to the poor of this parish. At no great distance from the church, and close to the turnpike road, are the remains of an ancient British encampment ; and above Bryngwyn, the residence of Martin Williams, Esq., by whom it was rebuilt about twelve years ago, are the remains of another; but of neither of them have any historical particulars been recorded. There are also in the vicinity several other British encampments, among which is "Moel Dinam," which, from the resemblance of the names, Mr. Edward Llwyd vaguely conjectures to have been the Mediolanum of the Romans. Within the limits of the parish are the remains of several ancient mansions, now abandoned by their proprietors, among which the principal are, Bodynvoel, the ancient residence of the Trevor family ; and Brongain, the mansion of the family of the Griffiths, descendants of the Idnerths. The Rev. Walter Davies, A. M., rector of the parish of Manavon, eminent as a philologist and antiquary, and profoundly skilled in the literature and antiquities of his country, is a native of this parish : he first rose to a very elevated station as a candidate, and subsequently as an arbiter, in the grand Eisteddvodau of the principality, and has published some useful and interesting works, among which are, a translation of " Gisborne's Familiar Survey of Christianity ; " an Agricultural Survey of North Wales, in one volume, 8vo., undertaken at the request of Sir John Sinclair, Bart. ; and an Agricultural Survey of South Wales, in two volumes, 8vo., at the request of Lord Sheffield; besides communicating many valuable papers to various Cambrian periodicals, and of late years aiding with his literary and scientific acquirements divers works relating to Wales and Welsh literature.
(Copied using Cd published by Archive CD Books
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 9 Sept 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996