Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
A Welsh countryside revisited : a new social study of Llanfihangel yng Ngwynfa . Welshpool : Llanfihangel yng Ngwynfa : The Powysland Club ; Llanfihangel Social History Group, 2003. 186p
Rees, Alwyn D. Life in a Welsh Countryside: A Social Study of Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa. UWP, 1996
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 10005 acres; Population 542 males, 487 females, total 1029
- Llangihangel yn Gwynfa Parish Church Attendance- morning 35 + 24 scholars, afternoon 20 + 6 scholars Services in Welsh "This day wet and stormy - an extensive Parish. Roads almost impassable. Many of the inhabitants frequent dissenting meetings more from necessity than choice owing to the Distance from the Parish Church. An additional Church to be erected in one extremity of the parish an endowment being ready. During the Summer our congregation much larger" Richard Pughe, Rector
- Salem, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1828 House attached used exclusively as a place of worship Attendance - afternoon 58, evening 53 Robert Gittins, Steward, Dolanog
- Moriah, Wesleyan Erected 1842 Attendance - morning 52, afternoon 40, evening 40 William Davies, Elder, Dolwar, Llanfihangel
- Bethel, Wesleyan Methodist Erected since 1800 Attendance - morning 35, afternoon 47, evening 47 Evan Jones, Elder, Pentre Isa, Llanfyllin
- Braichwain, Indipendants Erected 1842 Attendance - morning 58 + 41 scholars John Breese, Steward, Chapel House, Braichwain
- Soar, Pontlloyd, Baptist Erected 1823 Attendance - morning 25 scholars, afternoon 40, evening 50 John Morgans, Deacon, Pontllogell
- Ebenezer, Pontllys, Independants Erected 1822 Attendance - morning 68 scholars, evening 50 Thomas Jones; Revd John Davies; William Williams; John Ellis
Church of St Michael, Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa on the Montgomeryshire Churches Survey site
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Penllys chapel (in Welsh ) - (with translation by Maureen Saycell (Dec 2009) Also Braichywaun chapel (with translation by Maureen Saycell (Dec 2009)
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Montgomeryshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1663-7, 1688-98, 1708-1869; Marriages 1663-7, 1688-93, 1708-1968; Burials 1663-7, 1688-98, 1708-1864; Banns 1823-1961
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives. (Both the NLW and Denbighshire Archives may have fuller coverage within the above dates)
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW, Denbighshire Archives and/or Flintshire Archives
St Asaph Notitiae; Deanery of Pool, parish of Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa 1681? - on the NLW site
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Dolobran estate, records "Deeds relating to the Dolobran estate in the parishes of Meifod and Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa , Montgomeryshire. The deeds date from the time of Charles Lloyd (1662-1747), and are records of mortgages, transfers of mortgages and creations of trusts, of the sale of the estate by the Lloyd family to Joseph Jones, and of the repurchase in 1873 of a portion of the old estate (Dolobran Fach) by Henry Lloyd. Two documents dated 1878 refer to the acquisition of the other part of the estate by Sampson Samuel Lloyd, MP. The part played by Dolobran in the history of the Quakers in Montgomeryshire is reflected in letters, 1813-1829 relating to transactions for the sale of the Quaker Meeting House and Burial Ground at Dolobran"
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ080168 (Lat/Lon: 52.740950, -3.364205), Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa which are provided by: