We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

LLANFIHANGEL - Gazetteers

National Gazetteer, 1868

"LLANFIHANGEL, (or Llanfihangel-Yngwynfa), a parish in the hundred of Llanfyllin, county Montgomery, 4 miles S.W. of Llanfyllin, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Welchpool. It is situated on the old Roman highway Caer Sws. The parish is divided into Upper and Lower, and includes 12 townships, of which Dolwar, Fachwen, and Llywdiarth are the principal. This parish was formerly included in Gwynva, within the principality of Powysland. The neighbourhood is hilly, and much of the land unenclosed. The village is considerable. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £334, in the patronage of the lord chancellor.

The church is dedicated to St. Michael, who has given name to the parish, LLan-mihangel signifying the "church of St. Michael the Archangel". There are also two district churches, viz: Pont Dolanog and Fachwen, the livings of both which are perpetual curacies, value respectively, £84 and £216, the former in the patronage of the bishop. The charities consist of an endowment by Mrs. Strangeways for the relief of clergymen's widows, producing about £140 per annum, also Vaughan's school endowment worth £18, and other charities, amounting in all to about £166 per annum. A fair is held on the 9th May. See Llanvibangel.

"CEFNDEISIOG, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel, county of Montgomery, North Wales, 5 miles S.W. of Llanfyllin."

"CYDWNFA, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel, in the county of Montgomery, 3 miles S.W. of Llanfyllin."

"DOLWAR, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel, in the county of Montgomery, 5 miles S.W. of Llanfair."

"FACHWEN, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel, county Montgomery, 5 miles S.W. of Llanfyllin."

"FARCHWELL, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel, county Montgomery, 5 miles S.W. of Llanfyllin."

"FYNNONARTHUR, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel, county Montgomery, North Wales, 5 miles S.W. of Llanfyllin."

"GARTHUCHA, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel, county Montgomery, 5 miles S.W. of Llanfyllin."

"LLAETHBWLCH, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel, county Montgomery, 5 miles S.W. of Llanfyllin. It is situated near the Roman way called Caer Sws, and anciently formed part of Gwynva, in the principality of Powysland."

"LLWYDIARTH, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel, in the hundred of Llanfyllin, county Montgomery, 7 miles N.W. of Llanfair. The river Bechan flows through the township. There is a logan stone in the neighbourhood. Llwydiarth is the principal residence."

"NANTY-CANDY, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel, county Montgomery, 5 miles S.W. of Llanfyllyn."

"RHIEWLAS, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel-yn-Gwynva, county Montgomery, 5 miles S.W. of Llanfyllin. It is situated in a hilly country, near the line of the Caer Sws Roman way, and in the district of Gwynva, which anciently formed part of the principality of Powysland."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

 

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

 A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANVIHANGEL (LLAN-VIHANGEL-YN-NGWYNVA), a parish, comprising the Upper and Lower divisions, in the lower division of the hundred of LLANVYLLIN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Llanvyllin, and containing 906 inhabitants. The name of this parish is derived from the dedication of its church to St. Michael, and its adjunct from its being situated in Gwynva, a district in ancient Powys : it is more commonly called "Llanvihangel y Gwynt " (St. Michael's the windy), from the bleakness of its surface, to distinguish it from "Llanvihangel yn Nghentyn," as the Welsh designate Alberbury, on the confines of Salop. It comprehends a tract of about six thousand acres, of which two-thirds, being hilly and mountainous, are unenclosed and uncultivated. The soil is various the lower grounds are fertile and productive ; the declivities of the hills afford pasturage for young cattle and sheep ; and peat, which constitutes the chief fuel of the inhabitants, is found in abundance. The surrounding scenery is strikingly varied and in many parts highly picturesque; and within the parish are some handsome residences, the principal of which is Llwydiarth Hall, with its extensive and well-wooded park, forming a prominent and interesting feature in the varied landscape. The village is situated about half a mile to the left of the turnpike road leading from Llanvyllin to Cann Office. A fair is held on May 9th. The living is a rectory, locally in the archdeaconry, and in the diocese, of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £ 5. 15. 5., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, which is situated on the summit of a lofty eminence, is an ancient edifice : the pew belonging to the possessors of Llwydiarth is decorated with a canopy, on which are emblazoned the arms of the different branches of that family. A parochial school, which since 1820 has been conducted on the National plan, is supported chiefly by bequests of Mrs. Mary Vaughan, of Llangedwin, and her daughter, Mrs. Strangeways, of the parish of Melbury, in the county of Dorset : in this establishment the poor children of the parish are gratuitously instructed, and ten of them are annually clothed. Francis Griffiths, in 1684, bequeathed £20, and David Griffiths, in 1690, left £30, the produce of both which sums was to be appropriated to the apprenticing of poor children. David Vaughan, in 1705, bequeathed £20, and Watkin Evans gave £20, directing the interest to be distributed in bread to the poor. Joseph and David Ellis gave £20, the interest to be given annually in flannel; and Mrs. Mary Strangeways bequeathed £200, and the Rev. Mr. Lloyd £ 10, the interest of which sums is annually divided among the poor. The Roman road from Caer-Sws to Deva (Chester) passed through this parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £298. 13.

(Copied using Cd published by Archive CD Books