We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.



Edwards, Steven. Branch line to Llangurig : the railway that never was. Cronicl Powys. No. 57 (Dec. 2002), p. 14-15

Hamer, Edward. History of the parish of Llangurig. London, T. Richards, 1875. 370p

Llangurig Church  Collections historical & archaeological relating to Montgomeryshire   Vol 34  1907   Welsh Journals Online

Lloyd-Verney, George H. A description of the parish church of Llangurig, Mongomeryshire, North Wales. London : G. Pulman & Sons, 1892. 88p Monumental inscriptions : Cefn Burial Ground : Llangurig, Montgomeryshire. Basingstoke : M. E. MacSorley, 1996. 9p

Stirk, James R. View of St. Curig's Church, Llangurig, from the south east, c.1875 : Edward Salter. Montgomeryshire Collections (Transactions of the Powys-land Club) 79 (1991), p. 9-10

Stirk, James R. Chevalier J.Y.W. Lloyd, Burlison and Grylls and the windows of Llangurig Church : the relationship of patron and manufacturer in Victorian ecclesiastical art. Montgomeryshire Collections (Transactions of the Powys-land Club) 77 (1989), p. 137-81


Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Llangurig parish 1841-1901

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Llangurig St Curig

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish statistics; Area 50000 acres; Population 917 males, 885 females, total 1802

  • There is no return for Llangurig Parish Church
  • Llangurig Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist            Erected 1814          Attendance - morning 30 + 10 scholars, evening 130 + 50 scholars                    John Jones, Wesleyan Minister, Llanidloes
  • Lowest Chapel (Capel Isaf?) Welsh Calvinistic Methodists        Erected 1830       Attendance - morning 35, afternoon 24 scholars, evening 46         Jacob Hughes, Manager, Caregbwla, Llangurig
  • Upper Chapel, Welsh Calvinistic Methodists      Erected before 1810         Attendance - average - morning 94, afternoon 90 scholars, evening 130     Hugh Davies, Deacon, Nant (illegible), Llangurig
  • Penybont Chapel, Welsh Calvinistic Methodists         Erected 1833          Attendance - morning 30, afternoon 73, evening 68                    Lewis Owen, Deacon
  • Cefn, Wesleyan Methodists           Not a separate building           Attendance - morning 40, evening 50                    Evan Richards, Wesleyan Minister, Llanidloes
  • Belan Wesleyan Chapel, Wesleyan Methodists                   Erected 1835            Attendance - morning 50, evening 102                    John Jones, Wesleyan Minister, Llanidloes
  • Cwm Belan Chapel, Baptists               Erected 1825              Attendance - morning 10, evening 40                  David Owen, Chapel Keeper

Church of St Curig, Llangurig on the Montgomeryshire Churches Survey site

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Montgomeryshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

  • Baptisms 1687-91, 1694-1702, 1707-1861; Marriages 1683-1969; Burials 1686-1756, 1758-1875; Banns 1827-1958
    Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives
    Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Friends Burial Ground, records       "The Society of Friends, also known as Quakers .......... Llangurig Friends were part of the Hereford and Mid-Wales Monthly Meeting. They operated their own cemetery in Llangurig"

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llangurig which are provided by:

Llangurig Community Council

Llangurig - on Wikipedia

Aerial photograph of Cae Gaer Roman Fort, Llangurig   - on the People's Collection Wales site


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llangurig has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Bwlch-hafod-y-gof Records    "Deeds, 1629-1833, relating to the Lucas and Matthews families of Bwlch-hafod-y-gof, Llangurig, Montgomeryshire"  
  • Lloyd Verney, Montgomeryshire and Denbighshire, deeds   1521-1839    " The Lloyd, Youde and Verney families of the Clochfaen estate, Llangurig, Montgomeryshire, also owned other lands in Montgomeryshire from the 17th to the 19th centuries............"  
  • Pengeulan (Llangurig) Deeds  "Deeds and plans, 1759-1879, relating to a farm called Penygeulan, Llangurig, Montgomery, comprising conveyances, mortgages and an abstract of title of Penygeulan, 1759-1879, with sale plans, 1921, of portions of the Clochfaen estate, Montgomery, including Penygeulan."   
  • Papers of W. Wynn-Jones, Llangurig            "Papers of W. Wynn-Jones, 1703-1989, including deeds relating to Llangurig, Montgomeryshire, and Llansantffraed Cwmdeuddwr and Llandrindod, Radnorshire, 1703-1799; photographs, cuttings and other items relating to Llangurig [1886]-1986; papers of Alderman J. Wilfred Jones including letters, photographs, cuttings and ephemera, 1915-1974; papers relating to chapels and churches including Cwmbelan and New Chapel Baptist chapels, 1937-1989"


Map of Montgomeryshire parishes on Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society's site - shows dioceses

Victorian Powys for schools site - Map of Llangurig in 1866, and 1903

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN908799 (Lat/Lon: 52.406147, -3.606710), Llangurig which are provided by:


Powys Digital History Project site - Llangurig Board School

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Trefeglwys and Llangurig School and Poor Law Records     Include  "............. Llangurig School Board, 1874-1898.........."