GENUKI Home page
Llangirrig Llangirrig   Contents & Search Contents

LLANGIRRIG


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANGIRRIG, (or Llangwrig), a parish in the hundred of Llanidloes, county Montgomery, 4 miles S.W. of Llanidloes, its post town, and 10 N.W. of Rhayader. It is situated near the foot of Plinlimmon, and in the vale of the river Wye, which here begins to lose somewhat of its early impetuous character. The parish includes 6 townships, of which Glynbrochan and Llanyfyny are the principal. Some of the people are employed in the woollen manufacture. The village is small, but much visited by tourists. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor, value 175, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is an ancient edifice dedicated to St. Curig.

"CARNCOED, a parish village in the township of Glynbrochan and parish of Llangirrig, hundred of Llanidloes, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 3 miles to the S. of Llanidloes."

"CEFNHAFODAN, a township in the parish of Llangirrig, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 5 miles S. of Llanidloes. The river Cefni rises above Llangefni, in the county of Anglesey, and runs S.W. to Malldraeth Bay, passing in its course under the nineteen-arched viaduct of the Chester and Holyhead railway."

"GLANYNANT, a village in the township of Glynbrocan and the parish of Llangirrig, county Montgomery, North Wales, 3 miles S. of Llanidloes."

"GLYNBROCHAN, a township in the parish of Llangirrig, county Montgomery, 5 miles S.W. of Llanidloes. It includes the hamlets of Carncoed and Glannynant."

"GLYNGYNWITH, a township in the parish of Llangirrig, county Montgomery, 5 miles S.W, of Llanidloes."

"GLYNHAFREN-UCH-COED, a township in the parish of Llangirrig, county Montgomery, 5 miles S.W. Llanidloes."

"LLANYFYNY, a township in the parish of Llangirrig, county Montgomery, 3 miles S. of Llanidloes."

"LLANYWARED, a township in the parish of Llangirrig, county Montgomery, 3 miles S. of Llanidloes."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANGURIG, or LLANGIRRIG (LLAN-GURIG), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (S. W.) from Llanidloes, on the road to Aberystwith, containing 1847 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the northern bank of the river Wye, at no great distance from its source in the neighbouring mountain of Plinlimmon. A new road leading from the village to Rhaiadr, in the county of Radnor, formed in 1830, has placed it on the nearest route from London to Aberystwith, and added materially to its interest and importance. This new line of road, which is nine miles and a half in length, winds through the beautiful and picturesque vale of the Wye, abounding with pleasingly diversified scenery. In various parts of the parish are obtained interesting views, and from Glynn-Brychan is an extensive and delightful prospect, embracing the Vale of Llanidloes, with the windings of the river Severn, and the mountainous ridges by which this district is bounded. The manufacture of flannel is carried on in the parish, but the inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. The living is a vicarage, locally in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at 9. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor, to the jurisdiction of whose consistorial court it is subject. The church, dedicated to St. Curig, a saint of the seventh century, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture : the remains of an elaborately carved screen and rood-loft are still preserved. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Welsh Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. Sunday schools, in connexion with the established church and the several dissenting congregations, are supported by subscription. Mr. David Vaughan bequeathed 10 to the poor, the interest of which is annually distributed among them. In 1826, a noble, coined in the reign of Edward III., was dug up in this parish. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to 1249. 6.

(Copied using Cd published by Archive CD Books


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 31 Aug 2005   Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.