Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Astley, Elsie. Glancing back at Llangynyw School 1833-1966. [S.l.] : Stable Press,  28p
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 4513 acres; Population 300 males, 296 females, total 596
- Llangyniew Parish Church Attendance - morning 20 + 9 scholars, evening 36 + 11 scholars Services in Welsh, some English Thomas Richards. Parish
- Newbridge Chapel, Llangynyw, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1830 Attendance - morning 30, afternoon 52 scholars John Richards, Deacon, Joseph Richards. Lower Hall, Myfod
- Peniel, Independents Erected 1830 Attendance - morning 44 scholars, afternoon 65, evening 42 Thomas Hughes, Deacon, (?) Llaeloddiau
Church of St Cynyw, Llangynyw on the Montgomeryshire Churches Survey site
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Montgomeryshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1584-90, 1593-1683, 1729-1914; Marriages 1584-90, 1593-1649, 1661-1683, 1729-1969; Burials 1584-90, 1594-1683, 1729-1895
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives (the latter may have fuller coverage within the above dates).
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW, Denbighshire Archives and/or Flintshire Archives
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llangynyw which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llangynyw has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ126088 (Lat/Lon: 52.669814, -3.293958), Llangynyw which are provided by:
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Llanfynyw Community Council records 1849-[c.1897]