We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANLLUGAN - Gazetteers
"LLANLLUGAN, a parish in the hundred of Newtown, county Montgomery, 7 miles N.W. of Newtown, and 10 S.W. of Welshpool. Shrewsbury is its post town. It is situated on the river Rhiw. A nunnery of the Cistercian order was founded here in the early part of the 13th century, which afterwards came to the D'Arcy family. No traces of the nunnery now remain. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £60, in the patronage of the lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is in the early English style of architecture."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
LLANLLIGAN, or LLANLLUGAN (LLAN-LLUGAN), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of NEWTOWN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (S. W.) from Llanvair, containing 361 inhabitants. This place is distinguished as the site of an ancient Cistercian nunnery, which, according to Bishop Tanner, was founded here prior to the year 1239, at which time the tithes of the parish of Llanvair Caereinion were given by Bishop Hugh to the " nuns of Llanllugan in Powys," to whom also the tithes of the parishes of Llanllwchaiarn and Bettws were subsequently appropriated by Anian, Bishop of St. Asaph, in 1265. This establishment, of which the founder is not known, had, at the dissolution, a revenue estimated at £ 22. 13. 8. : the site was granted, in the 37th of Henry VIII., to Sir Arthur D'Arcy, Knt.: the only remains are some fragments of painted glass in the chancel window of the parish church. This parish, which is nearly in the centre of the county, is intersected by the small river Rhiw, which has its source in the immediate vicinity, and, after passing by the village, pursues its course in an easterly direction, and falls into the Severn at Berriew. It is about three miles in length, and a mile and a half in breadth, and a very large proportion of it is unenclosed and uncultivated. The surrounding scenery is agreeably diversifIed, and in some parts highly picturesque ; and the views over the adjacent country embrace many interesting features. The road from Welshpool and Llanvair passes through the parish by Cevn Coch, to meet that from Newtown and Machynlleth, at Talerddig, in the parish of Llanbrynmair. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, endowed with £ 1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Lord of the Manor, and other impropriators, who are owners of land in the parish. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, and situated on the bank of the river Rhiw, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture. About a mile to the south-west of Cevn Coch, and to the right of the road from Newtown and Machynlleth, are the remains of a Druidical circle. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 131. 7.
(Copied using Cd published by Archive CD Books