We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANLLWCHAIARN - Gazetteers
"LLANLLWCHAIARN, a parish in the hundred of Newtown, county Montgomery, 1½ mile N.E. of Newtown, its post town, and 6 miles S.W. of Montgomery. It is situated on the banks of the river Severn, which is here crossed by a bridge of three arches, and is partly within the borough of Newtown. The Montgomery canal passes through the parish, which includes the townships of Aberbechan, Gwestydd, Hendidley, and Kilcowen. Woollen cloth and superior flannel is manufactured here. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £355, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Llwchaiarn, is a structure of the present century, erected on the site of the former one. There are some traces of a Roman road. Newydd Fraith is the chief seat."
"ABERBECHAN, a township in the parish of Llanllwchaiarn, hundred of Newtown, in county Montgomeryshire North Wales, not far from Newtown. It stands at the confluence of the rivers Bechan and Severn, Aberbechan House is the residence of Sir J. Clifton, Bart."
"GWESTYDD, a township in the parish of Llanllwchaiarn, county Montgomery, 2 miles N.E. of Newtown."
"HENDIDLEY, a township in the parish of Llanllwchaiarn, county Montgomery, 2 miles from Newtown. It is situated on the canal, and contains the hamlet of Penygloddfa."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
LLANLLWCHAIARN (LLAN-LLWCHAIARN), a parish partly in the newly created borough, and partly in the upper division of the hundred, of NEWTOWN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 1 mile (N. E.) from Newtown, containing 2005 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the bank of the river Severn, over which is a stone bridge of three arches, completed in the year 1827, at an expense of £4000, which was defrayed by the county, and connecting those parts of the parish which are called Pen y gloddva, Frankwell, and the Basin, with the town of Newtown, of which they are almost considered as forming part. This quarter of the parish has very much increased in population during the last seven years, within which period no fewer than three hundred houses, including several factories, have been erected. The manufacture of flannel is carried on to a very great extent, affording employment to a considerable portion of the inhabitants. The lands, about four thousand four hundred acres in extent, are all enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. An act was obtained, in the 36th of George III., for enclosing the waste lands within the manors of Cedowain, Hopton, and Over Gorddwr, under the provisions of which about nine hundred acres were allotted to this parish, in 1824, and enclosed. The Montgomeryshire canal was extended, in 1819, from Garthmill to this parish, in which it terminates near Newtown : the basin, with the wharfs, lime-kilns, and other works connected with that line of navigation, is within its limits.. The road from Welshpool to Newtown passes by it on the south, and that from Newtown to Machynlleth on the west. That part of the parish which is comprised within the boundaries of the new contributory borough of Newtown consists of the townships of Gwestydd and Hendidley. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.Asaph, rated in the king's books at £7. 7. 6., endowed with the great tithes, which formerly belonged to Llanllugan nunnery, and with £ 100 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Llwchaiarn, who flourished at the commencement of the seventh century, was erected on the site of the ancient structure, in the year 1816, at an expense of £1200 : it is a neat edifice of brick, with a tower of the same materials, surmounted with pinnacles : the interior is neatly fitted up. Mr. Thomas Austin gave a rent-charge of £ 1; Mr. Richard Mytton, the sum of £ 40 ; and Mr. John Hughes £5; the produce of all which is annually distributed in bread to the poor. To the south of the turnpike road from Newtown to Welshpool are vestiges of a Roman road, which anciently communicated with Caer-Sws and the Gaer near Montgomery. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 573. 9.
(Copied using Cd published by Archive CD Books