Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANMEREWIG - Gazetteers
"LLANMEREWIG, (or Llanmarewic), a parish in the hundred of Newtown, county Montgomery, 3 miles N.E. of Newtown, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Montgomery. It is situated on the south-eastern bank of the river Severn. The Montgomery canal passes through this neighbourhood. The tithes were commuted in 1840. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £133, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Llwchaiarn. Here are traces of a Roman camp and road.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
LLANMEREWIG (LLAN-YR-EWIG), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of NEWTOWN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Newtown, containing 201 inhabitants. This parish, which is said to have been formerly a chapelry within the parish of Llanllwchaiarn, is situated in a pleasant part of the county, near the river Severn, and is intersected by the river Mule, which flows through the eastern portion of it. It comprises about one thousand acres : the surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified ; and the road from Abermule to Kerry, along the bank of the Mule, is highly picturesque. The soil is fertile, and the lands, which are all enclosed, are in a good state of cultivation : on the banks of the Mule are some corn-mills and a flannel-manufactory. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £ 6. 13. 9., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Llwchaiarn, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture. On the summit of a hill above the farm called Giant's bank, about half a mile from the road leading from Welshpool to Newtown, are the remains of a Roman camp, comprising a quadrilateral area, in which fragments of ornamented pottery, and part of a spear head have been found : from this camp are seen several of the principal mountains in North Wales. A Roman road leading from Caer-Sws, through the Vale of Severn, to the Gaer near Montgomery, and thence to Chester and Wroxeter, the ancient Uriconium of the Romans, may be traced in the lower part of the parish, near the river Severn. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 68. 18.
(Copied using Cd published by Archive CD Books