We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish (whole) statistics; Area 23294 acres;
Section in Montgomery - Population 494 males, 495 females, total 989
Section in Denbigh - Population 767 males, 772 females, total 1539
- Llanrhaiadr-ym-Mochnant Parish Church Attendance - morning 145, evening 145 Services in Welsh William Williams, Vicar
- Sion, Llanrhaiadr-Mochnant, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1833 Attendance - morning 90, afternoon 156 scholars, evening 190 Rich. Prichard, Minister
- Wesleyan Chapel, Brithdir, Llanrhaiadr, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1840 Attendance morning 20 scholars, afternoon 40, evening 30 Rich. Prichard, Minister
- Carmel, Penygarnedd, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1821 Attendance - morning 80, afternoon 60 scholars, evening 120 Rich. Prichard, Minister
- Wesleyan Chapel, Bwlch-y-Cibe Erected 1833 Attendance - morning 83, afternoon 90 scholars, evening 136 Rich. Prichard, Minister
- Wesleyan Chapel, Braichywaun Erected 1842 Attendance - morning 50 scholars, afternoon 102, evening 86 Rich. Prichard, Minister
- Rhos y Brithdu Chapel, Llanrhaiadr, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1807 Attendance - morning 44, afternoon 50, evening 46 William Roberts, Elder, penyboncyn
- Penygarnedd, Wesleyan Erected 1821 Attendance - morning 95, afternoon 66 scholars, evening 94 Edward Jones, Shoemaker
- Tabernacle, Independents or Congregational Erected 1822 Attendance - morning 32 scholars, afternoon 150, evening 52 Henry Parry, Deacon
- Sion, Cefncoed Township, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1834 Attendance - morning 88, afternoon 150 scholars, evening 189 David Rhys, Class Leader, Plas yn Llan
- In Denbigh part of parish
- Bethesda, Llanrhaiadr, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1828 Attendance - morning 74, afternoon 92 scholars, evening 102 Humphrey Evans, Deacon
- Wesleyan Chapel, Bwlchyddar, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1835 Attendance - morning 90 scholars, afternoon 80, evening 125 Rich. Prichard, Minister
- Wesleyan Chapel, Briw Erected 1836 Attendance - morning 76, afternoon 130 scholars, evening 115 (No signature)
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Feb 2010)
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Cefn Coch which are provided by:
LLANRHAIADR YN MOCHNANT (LLAN-RHAIADR-YN-MOCHNANT), a parish composed of the Lower division, in the Cynlleth and Mochnant division of the hundred of CHIRK, county of DENBIGH, and the Upper portion, in the upper division of the hundred of LLANVYLLIN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 12 miles (W. by S.) from Oswestry, and containing 2344 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises an extent of about eight thousand acres, of which four thousand six hundred are in the Lower, and three thousand four hundred in. the Upper, division, is intersected by the river Moch, in English signifying "Rapid," which here separates the counties of Denbigh and Montgomery, and in the former of which, at the distance of four miles from the village, it forms the much admired waterfall called Pistyll Rhaiadr, which renders this place, especially during the summer months, the resort of numerous visitors on their route through this part of North Wales. The perpendicular height of this fall is two hundred and forty feet ; and the scenery around it, though in some places sterile and destitute of wood, is strikingly grand and picturesque. The river, flowing through a narrow valley which terminates in a precipitous and bold declivity of the Berwyn mountains, after gliding over a shelving rocky projection for a short distance, precipitates itself with great impetuosity down a steep descent of more than one hundred and fifty feet, and, being interrupted in its fall by a projecting mass of rock, through which it has worn a channel, forms a second fall beneath a lofty arch to the base of the mountain : the road leading from the village to this cataract has been greatly improved. The river pursues its course from Pistyll Rhaiadr through the village into the Tanat, a large stream descending from the hills above Pennant, and flowing through an extensive valley commencing at Llangynog, and continued through the parish to Pen y Bont, below Llangedwin : in this parish the Tanat is also joined by another tributary, called the Twrch. The Vale of Tanat, through which is an excellent turnpike road from Oswestry, through Llangynog, to Bala, is remarkable for the fertility of its soil, and the beauty and variety of its scenery, and is much admired by tourists, as affording a succession of interesting features. The lands bordering upon the Tanat are subject to inundation, but the rest of the parish, which has every where an uneven surface, is chiefly elevated: the soil is various, but for the most part gravelly. Coal has been discovered at Cevn Coch, a township in this parish, not far from the village, but no works have yet been established : several attempts have been made to procure ore, which is thought to abound in the parish, but they have not hitherto been attended with success. Near Pistyll Rhaiadr is an extensive slate quarry, the property of the Earl of Powis, and worked under the superintendence of Messrs. Foulkes and Co.: the slate is of good quality, but no great quantity has been obtained, the works not being yet in full operation. The manufacture of woollen cloth is carried on to a small extent, and several of the inhabitants are employed in the making of shoes. A small market is held here under a building which is called "the town hall ; " and fairs are held annually on the first Friday in March, May 5th, July 24th, September 28th, and November 8th. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £ 9. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph : the sinecure rectory, rated in the king's books at £ 18. 16. 0 1/2., was appropriated by act of parliament of the 29th and 30th of Charles II., on the death of the rector, the facetious Dr. South, to the maintenance of the choir, and the repairs of the cathedral church, of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Dogvan, and. situated in that portion of the parish which is in the county of Denbigh, is an ancient and spacious structure, but not distinguished by any particular architectural features. Llanarmon-Mynydd-Mawr, formerly an integral part of this parish, has been separated from it and now forms a distinct parish. The neighbouring churches of Llancadwaladr, Llangedwin, and Llanwddyn, were originally also dependent chapels on the mother church of Llanrhaiadr, from which they are respectively distant nine, four, and eight miles. There are places of worship in the village for Independents, and for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The parochial school, held in a building adjoining the church, was, founded, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, by Mr. John Powell, who, in 1730, bequeathed £ 210 in money, and lands then producing £ 24 per annum, for the instruction of children and for the relief of the poor : of the produce of this bequest, £ 23 per annum is paid as a salary to a schoolmaster for teaching the English language, writing, and arithmetic ; and the remainder is appropriated to the purchasing of clothes, the apprenticing of children, and the relief of the poor; to which purposes are also applied the produce of £ 100, bequeathed by Dr. South, the last rector of the parish ; £ 120 by Mr. Charles Edwards, and several smaller sums by different benefactors for distribution among the poor. Dr. Morgan, author of a translation of the Bible in the Welsh language, for which he was rewarded by Queen Elizabeth with the bishoprick of Llandaf, from which see he was translated to that of St. Asaph, in 1601, was at one period vicar of this parish. Dr. Lloyd, afterwards Bishop of Bangor ; Dr. Langford, Archdeacon of Merioneth ; Dr. Powell, Dean of St. Asaph ; Dr. Worthington, Prebendary of York and of St. Asaph ; Dr. Williams, Prebendary of St. Asaph, and examining chaplain to Shipley, Bishop of St.Asaph ; and several othcr eminent divines, have also been vicars of Llanrhaiadr. The poor of the entire parish are maintained by an average annual expenditure of £ 979. 2. ( A Topgraphical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
You can see the administrative areas
in which Cefn Coch has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ048028 (Lat/Lon: 52.614575, -3.407539), Cefn Coch which are provided by: