GENUKI Home page

Montgomeryshire Montgomeryshire Contents Contents

  Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant

The main page for  this parish is included in Denbighshire According to Archdeacon Thomas, the parish of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant at one time included the parishes of Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr, Llangadwaladr, Llangedwyn; and part of Llanwddyn (in Montgomeryshire).

The townships of the parish of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant which were in the pre-1974 county of Montgomery were: Abermarchnant, Brithdir, Castellmoch, Cefn Coch, Glanhafon Fach, Glanhafon Fawr and Nantfyllon.
The townships which were in the pre-1974 county of Denbigh were: Banhadla Ucha, Banhadla Isa, Gartheryr, Henfachau, Trebrys Fawr, Trebrys Fach, Trefeiliw, Tre'r-Llan and Tre-Wern.

The parish church was on the Denbighshire side of the border; therefore the parish registers have been deposited in the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish (whole) statistics; Area 23294 acres;
Section in Montgomery - Population 494 males, 495 females, total 989
Section in Denbigh  - Population 767 males, 772 females, total 1539


Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Feb 2010)


LLANRHAIADR YN MOCHNANT (LLAN-RHAIADR-YN-MOCHNANT), a parish composed of the Lower division, in the Cynlleth and Mochnant division of the hundred of CHIRK, county of DENBIGH, and the Upper portion, in the upper division of the hundred of LLANVYLLIN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 12 miles (W. by S.) from Oswestry, and containing 2344 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises an extent of about eight thousand acres, of which four thousand six hundred are in the Lower, and three thousand four hundred in. the Upper, division, is intersected by the river Moch, in English signifying "Rapid," which here separates the counties of Denbigh and Montgomery, and in the former of which, at the distance of four miles from the village, it forms the much admired waterfall called Pistyll Rhaiadr, which renders this place, especially during the summer months, the resort of numerous visitors on their route through this part of North Wales. The perpendicular height of this fall is two hundred and forty feet ; and the scenery around it, though in some places sterile and destitute of wood, is strikingly grand and picturesque. The river, flowing through a narrow valley which terminates in a precipitous and bold declivity of the Berwyn mountains, after gliding over a shelving rocky projection for a short distance, precipitates itself with great impetuosity down a steep descent of more than one hundred and fifty feet, and, being interrupted in its fall by a projecting mass of rock, through which it has worn a channel, forms a second fall beneath a lofty arch to the base of the mountain : the road leading from the village to this cataract has been greatly improved. The river pursues its course from Pistyll Rhaiadr through the village into the Tanat, a large stream descending from the hills above Pennant, and flowing through an extensive valley commencing at Llangynog, and continued through the parish to Pen y Bont, below Llangedwin : in this parish the Tanat is also joined by another tributary, called the Twrch. The Vale of Tanat, through which is an excellent turnpike road from Oswestry, through Llangynog, to Bala, is remarkable for the fertility of its soil, and the beauty and variety of its scenery, and is much admired by tourists, as affording a succession of interesting features. The lands bordering upon the Tanat are subject to inundation, but the rest of the parish, which has every where an uneven surface, is chiefly elevated: the soil is various, but for the most part gravelly. Coal has been discovered at Cevn Coch, a township in this parish, not far from the village, but no works have yet been established : several attempts have been made to procure ore, which is thought to abound in the parish, but they have not hitherto been attended with success. Near Pistyll Rhaiadr is an extensive slate quarry, the property of the Earl of Powis, and worked under the superintendence of Messrs. Foulkes and Co.: the slate is of good quality, but no great quantity has been obtained, the works not being yet in full operation. The manufacture of woollen cloth is carried on to a small extent, and several of the inhabitants are employed in the making of shoes. A small market is held here under a building which is called "the town hall ; " and fairs are held annually on the first Friday in March, May 5th, July 24th, September 28th, and November 8th. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at 9. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph : the sinecure rectory, rated in the king's books at 18. 16. 0 1/2., was appropriated by act of parliament of the 29th and 30th of Charles II., on the death of the rector, the facetious Dr. South, to the maintenance of the choir, and the repairs of the cathedral church, of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Dogvan, and. situated in that portion of the parish which is in the county of Denbigh, is an ancient and spacious structure, but not distinguished by any particular architectural features. Llanarmon-Mynydd-Mawr, formerly an integral part of this parish, has been separated from it and now forms a distinct parish. The neighbouring churches of Llancadwaladr, Llangedwin, and Llanwddyn, were originally also dependent chapels on the mother church of Llanrhaiadr, from which they are respectively distant nine, four, and eight miles. There are places of worship in the village for Independents, and for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The parochial school, held in a building adjoining the church, was, founded, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, by Mr. John Powell, who, in 1730, bequeathed 210 in money, and lands then producing 24 per annum, for the instruction of children and for the relief of the poor : of the produce of this bequest, 23 per annum is paid as a salary to a schoolmaster for teaching the English language, writing, and arithmetic ; and the remainder is appropriated to the purchasing of clothes, the apprenticing of children, and the relief of the poor; to which purposes are also applied the produce of 100, bequeathed by Dr. South, the last rector of the parish ; 120 by Mr. Charles Edwards, and several smaller sums by different benefactors for distribution among the poor. Dr. Morgan, author of a translation of the Bible in the Welsh language, for which he was rewarded by Queen Elizabeth with the bishoprick of Llandaf, from which see he was translated to that of St. Asaph, in 1601, was at one period vicar of this parish. Dr. Lloyd, afterwards Bishop of Bangor ; Dr. Langford, Archdeacon of Merioneth ; Dr. Powell, Dean of St. Asaph ; Dr. Worthington, Prebendary of York and of St. Asaph ; Dr. Williams, Prebendary of St. Asaph, and examining chaplain to Shipley, Bishop of St.Asaph ; and several othcr eminent divines, have also been vicars of Llanrhaiadr. The poor of the entire parish are maintained by an average annual expenditure of 979. 2. ( A Topgraphical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)


Map of Montgomeryshire parishes on Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society's site - shows dioceses


(Gareth Hicks  - 10 Oct 2011)

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.