GENUKI Home page
Llansaintffraid Llansaintffraid   Contents & Search Contents

LLANSAINTFFRAID


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANSAINTFFRAID, a parish in the hundreds of Deythur and Pool, county Montgomery, 5 miles E. of Llanfyllin, 9 N. of Welshpool, and 7 from Oswestry, its post town. The Llanfyllin branch of the Cambrian railway has a station here. It is situated on the rivers Vyrnwy and Tanat. The parish, which is of large extent, includes the townships of Collfryn, Llanerchila, Trederwenfawr, and Trewillan, with several hamlets The village, which is neatly built, is situated near the supposed site of the Roman station Mediolanum, on Watling Street, and the Caer Sws military way. The soil is generally fertile. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value 230, in the patronage of the bishop. The church exhibits a few details of the 14th century, although the greater part is of the 17th. There are charities amounting' to about 09 per annum. Here are remains of British and Roman camps."

"COLLFRYN, a township in the parish of Llansaintffraid, in the hundred of Deythur, in the county of Montgomery, 7 miles E. of Llanfyllin."

"DOLWEN, a township in the parish of Llansaintffraid, county of Montgomery, 4 miles N.E. of Llanfyllin. It is a station on the Oswestry, Llanidloes, and Newtown railway."

"LLAN, a township in the parish of Llansaintffraid, hundreds of Pool and Deythur, county Montgomery, 5 miles E. of Llanfyllin. It is situated near the rivers Vyrnwy and Tanat. The Roman roads, Watling Street and Caer Sws military way, passed in the vicinity."

"LLANERCHILA, a township in the parish of Llansaintffraid, hundred of Deythur, county Montgomery, 4 miles N.E. of Llanfyllin."

"LLANERCHYMRIS, a township in the parish of Llansaintffraid, county Montgomery, 6 miles E. of Llanfyllin. It is situated near the river Vyrnwy."

"LLEDROD, a township in the parish of Llansaintffraid, county Montgomery, 4 miles E. of Llanfyllin."

"MELINIOG-FACH and MELINIOG-FAWR, townships in the parish of Llansaintffraid, county Montgomery, near Llanfyllin."

"THEDDERWENFAWR, a township in the parish of Llansaintffraid, hundred of Deythur, county Montgomery, 4 miles E.N.E. of Llanfyllin."

"TREWYLAN, a township in the parish of Llansaintffraid, hundred of Deythur, county Montgomery, 6 miles N. of Welshpool, on the river Vyrnwy. There are ruins of a British fort."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANSANTFRAID YN MECHAN (LLAN-SANTFRAID-YN-MECHAIN), a parish partly in the upper division of the hundred of DEYTHUR, and partly in the lower division of the hundred of POOL, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (E. by N.) from Llanvyllin, containing 1365 inhabitants, of which number, 808 are in the main body of the parish, on the northern side of the river Vyrnwy, and the remainder in the several townships of Collvryn, Llanerchila, Tredderwen-Vawr, and Trewylan, on the southern side of the same stream : the portions in the several hundreds maintain their poor by a separate assessment. The parish is beautifully situated in a very picturesque part of the Vale of Vyrnwy, and is divided into two parts by the river which gives name to that rich and fertile vale : it comprises a very extensive tract of rich arable and pasture land; and in some parts of it is found abundance of peat, which forms the principal fuel of the inhabitants. The surrounding scenery is beautifully varied, and from the higher grounds the extensive vales of Salop and the Severn, with the lofty hills by which they are bounded, are pleasingly conspicuous. The turnpike road from Shrewsbury, through Llanvyllin, to Bala passes through the village, in which fairs are annually held on the Tuesday before Easter, May 22nd, and October 3rd. The living consists of both a rectory and a vicarage, locally in the archdeaconry, and in the diocese of St. Asaph : the rectory, which is a sinecure, is rated in the king's books at 14. 6. 8., and the vicarage, which is discharged, at 5. 17. 6.: both are in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, which appears to have been built at different periods, is a neat structure, principally in the early style of English architecture, and contains some good monuments : the interior was greatly improved in 1830, by the removal of the old benches and the substitution of regular pews. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. A parochial school is supported by subscription, and from sixty to eighty children are at present gratuitously instructed in it. There are remains of several ancient British camps in this parish. In the hamlet of Trewylan, in a meadow of which the situation is very low, and has the appearance of having once been a morass, is a post corresponding exactly with the description given by Caesar of the ancient British posts : it is seen very distinctly from the Meivod road, about a quarter of a mile from Pont y pentre. On the hill called the Voel, on the Llanvyllin road, are the remains of an old British camp, the site of which is in some degree concealed by the partial plantation of the hill ; but the fosse and dyke are clearly discernible from Pont y pentre and the Llangedwin road. There was also a post on the latter road, occupying the summit of Winllan hill, of which the intrenchments, though not so clearly defined, may still be traced. About two miles distant are the remains of an ancient encampment, called Clawdd Coch, which from its form is supposed to have been of Roman construction. The situation of this post near the confluence of the rivers Tanat and Vyrnwy, and commanding the entrance into the vales of the Severn and Tanat, and also into that of Llansantfraid, was highly advantageous for the defence of the mines of Llanymynech, which are supposed to have been worked by the Romans. Being so close to the river Vyrnwy, it has suffered some demolition, part of the intrenchment on that side having been washed away by the river. This post, which is but little known, has been thought by some antiquaries to be the Mediolanum of Antoninus ; but its relative distance from Heriri Mons, or Tommen y Mew, on one side, and from Rutunium and Uriconium, on the other, does not agree with that mentioned in the Itinerary. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to 636. 9., of which sum, 253. 6. is raised on that portion of the parish which is in the hundred of Deythur, and 383. 3. on that which is in the hundred of Pool.

 

COLLVRYN

COLLVRYN, a township in that part of the parish of LLANSANTFRAID YN MECHAN which is in the upper division of the hundred of DEYTHUR, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, containing 164 inhabitants. It is situated on the south side of the river Vyrnwy.

LLANERCHILA

LLANERCHILA (LLANNERCH-ILA), a town-ship in that part of the parish of LLANSANTFRAID YN MECHAN which is in the upper division of the hundred of DEYTHUR, County of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (W. by N.) from Llanvyllin, containing 141 inhabitants.

 

TREDDERWEN-VAWR

TREDDERWEN-VAWR (TREDDERWEN-VOR), a township in that part of the parish of LLANSANTFRAID YN MECHAN which is in the upper division of the hundred of DEYTHUR, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 9 miles (N. N. E.) from Welshpool, containing 153 inhabitants.

TREWYLAN,

TREWYLAN, a township in that part of the parish of LLANSANTFRAID YN MECHAN which is in the upper division of the hundred of DEYTHUR, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (E.) from Llanvyllin, containing 99 inhabitants. It is situated on the south bank of the river Vyrnwy. There is an ancient British fortification in this township, situated in a low meadow, which must have been surrounded on all sides by a morass ; it is seen. very distinctly from the Meivod road, about a quarter of a mile from Pont y pentre.

(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 23 Oct 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.