Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain parish 1841-1901
Church and chapel data from
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,
1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llansaintffraid Parish consisting of Llansaintffraid, Collfryn Township, Llanerchila Township, Tredderwenfawr Township and Trewylan Township - Statistics; Area 6065 acres; Population 613 males, 583 females, total 1196
- Llansaintffraid Total population 725
- Llansaintffraid Parish Church Attendance - morning 107 + 50 scholars, afternoon 118 + 24 scholars Services alternately in English and Welsh R H N Hughes, Vicar
- Schoolroom, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1825 Not used exclusively as a place of worship Attendance - morning 10 scholars, evening 46 Robert Davids, Minister, Schoolroom House
- Wesleyan Chapel Erected 1843 Attendance - morning 60, afternoon 40, evening 104 Rich. Richard, Minister
- Bethesda, Independents Erected 1827 Attendance - morning 57, afternoon 50 scholars, evening 100 Edward Thynaston, Deacon
- Bethel, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1816 Attendance - morning 30, afternoon 36 scholars, evening 72 Thomas Tannate, Class Leader
- Penygroes, Independent Erected 1813 Attendance - morning 35 scholars, afternoon 42 scholars, evening 160 David Williams, Deacon
- Salem, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1839 Attendance - morning 61, afternoon 57 scholars, evening 70 Richard Newall, Preacher and Farmer
- Collfryn Township; Total Population 152
- No return
- Llanerchila Township; Total Population 82
- No return
- Tredderwenfawr Township ; Total Population 149
- No return
- Trewylan Township; Total Population 88
- Gwernypant, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1816 Attendance - morning 35 scholars, afternoon 96 Samuel Pryce, Deacon, Gwern-y-pant
LLANSAINTFFRAID YN MECHAN, St. Ffraid
- on the Church plans online site
Church of St Ffraid, Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain on the Montgomeryshire Churches Survey site
Wesleyan churches on the Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society site -
Calvinistic Methodist (Presbyterian) churches on the Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society site - Zion
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.
Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Penygroes chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Feb 2010) Also Llansantffraid chapel - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Feb 2010)
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Montgomeryshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in
Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1582-1615, 1653-4, 1656, 1665, 1680, 1712-1750, 1757-1911; Marriages 1582-1615, 1674-1750, 1754-1970; Burials 1582-1615, 1666, 1668-1750, 1757-1851, 1898-1993
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, SOG and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW, Denbighshire Archives and/or Flintshire Archives
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Gwern-y-pant Church, Llansanffraid-ym-Mechain, records 1900-2001 "The Calvinistic Methodist cause began in the parish of Llansanffraid-ym-Mechain around 1797. At first, meetings were held at Gwernypant, a dwelling house owned by Thomas Pryce.In 1815 Pryce gave land for the purpose of erecting a meeting house and donated a sum of money towards the building fund. The chapel, incorporating a house which stood on the original site, was erected in 1816. Extensive alterations were made to the building in 1868. Originally a Welsh chapel, Gwern-y-pant became an English cause in 1863. The chapel was closed in June 2001."
Map of Montgomeryshire parishes on Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society's site - shows dioceses
Return to top
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 11 Oct 2011 - Gareth Hicks]