"LLANWRIN, a parish in the hundred of Machynlleth, county Montgomery, 3 miles N.E. of Machynlleth, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Dinas Mowddy. It is situated on the river Dovey, and includes Llanfechan and four other townships Here are some lofty hills. The neighbourhood abounds with slate. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £272, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Gwrin, is no less than 163 feet in length. The parochial charities amount to about £8 per annum. Henry VIL slept here, after landing at Milford, previous to the battle of Bosworth. At a seat called Mathavarn, which in 1644 was destroyed by fire, resided the celebrated seer and bard of the 15th century, David Llwydd. On its site now stands a farmhouse."
"BLAENGLESYRCH, a hamlet in the parish of Llanwrin, hundred of Machynlleth, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, not far from Machynlleth. It is in a hilly spot near the river Dovey, on a small stream called the Glesyrch. There are fine views from the high grounds."
"GLYNCEIRIOG, a township in the parish of Llanwrin, county Montgomery, 3 miles N.E. of Machynlleth. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Dovey and Dulas."
"LLANFECHAN, a township in the parish of Llanwrin, county Montgomery, 3 miles N.E. of Machynlleth. It is situated in the vale of Dovey."
"RHIWGWREIDDYN, a township in the parish of Llanwrin, county Montgomery, 3 miles N.E. of Machynlleth."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
LLANWRIN (LLAN-WRIN), a parish in the hundred of MACHYNLLETH, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Machynlleth, containing 802 inhabitants. This parish, which lies in the western portion of the county, bordering upon Merionethshire, is pleasantly situated on the north bank of the river Dovey, and comprises a considerable tract of mountainous country. The surrounding scenery is finely varied, and from the higher grounds are seen some of the principal mountains in North Wales, with nearly the whole of the beautiful vale of Dovey, through which that river pursues its winding course. The road from Machynlleth to Dolgelley, through the vale of the Dylas, is remarkable for the beauty of its views, the vale being characterized by strikingly romantic and picturesque scenery. From the front of Vronvelen is a fine prospect, embracing on the left the small, richly wooded, and highly cultivated valley, watered by the little river Dylas, and on the right is an extensive range of bleak and sterile mountains, beyond which the rugged head of Cader Idris is seen towering with sullen grandeur in the distance. The mountainous districts of the parish are supposed to be rich in mineral wealth ; but their only produce is slate, of which some quarries are worked upon a moderate scale. Peat, which is the principal fuel of the inhabitants, is found in abundance. The turnpike road leading from Dinasmowddwy to Aberdovey passes through the village. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £ 12. 16. 5 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Gwrin, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture : the chancel window is embellished with stained glass, and in the central compartment, which is the most perfect, is a representation of Christ upon the Cross. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. Sunday schools are maintained in connexion with the established church and the several dissenting congregations. Mrs. Anne Pugh bequeathed £50, an unknown benefactor £49, and John David Evan £10, the interest of which sums, together with that of several smaller benefactions, was directed by the several donors to be annually distributed among the poor. On the bank of the river Dovey, in this parish, is Mathavarn, the ancient residence of Davydd Llwyd ab Llewelyn ab Grufydd, a celebrated bard and seer, who flourished in this part of the principality from 1470 to 1490. The Earl of Richmond, afterwards Henry VII., on his route from Milford to Bosworth Field, is said to have passed one night at this mansion, and, in his anxiety for the issue of his enterprise, to have privately requested the opinion of his host. Davydd cautiously replied that a question of so much moment could not be immediately answered, and that he would give his opinion in the morning. His wife, observing the perplexity in which the question had involved him, expressed her astonishment at his hesitation, and advised him to inform the earl that the issue of the enterprise would be successful and glorious ; observing at the same time that, should his prediction be verified, he would receive honours and rewards, and if otherwise, there was little probability of the earl's ever returning to reproach him. During the civil war in the reign of Charles I., the forces under Cromwell, having entered this part of the principality, which they reduced into subjection to the Commonwealth, burned the seat of Mathavarn, in 1644, and committed many ravages in the neighbourhood. The Rev. Isaac Bonsall, the present incumbent, has an extensive and valuable collection of Greek and Roman, and of ancient and modern British and Irish, coins, of gold, silver, brass, and copper, and also a beautiful assortment of minerals. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 542. 10.
BLAEN-GLESYRCH (BLAEN-GLAS-ERCH), a township in the parish of LLANWRIN, hundred of MACHYNLLETH, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Machynlleth. The population is returned with the parish. This place takes its name from the small stream called the Glesyrch, which falls into the Dylas within a few miles of the junction of that river with the Dovey : it comprises the upper and northern part of the parish, where the ground is elevated, and commands fine views of the mountains in North Wales and the pleasing vale of the Dovey, with that river winding through it.
GLYNCAERYG (GLYN-CAERIG), a township in the parish of LLANWRIN, hundred of MACHYNLLETH, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (N. N. E.) from Machynlleth. The population is returned with the township of Llanwrin. This place forms the south-western portion of the parish, and is situated on the right bank of the Dovey, near the confluence of two streams, each called Dulas, which meet here from opposite directions, and join that river. A winding and beautifully romantic valley, through which one of these streams flows, and separates this township from Merionethshire, commences here. This river has a great variety of character, presenting at intervals foaming cascades and tranquil pools, and is enclosed between lofty and partially wooded precipices, at the foot of which passes the road from Machynlleth to Dolgelley, along the left bank of the river. The road from the former town to Dinasmowddwy also proceeds through the vale of the Dovey, which here exhibits some cheerful corn-fields and meadows, and verdant hills.
LLANVECHAN (LLAN-VECHAN), a township in the parish of LLANWRIN, hundred of MACHYNLLETH, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (N. E.) from Machynlleth. The population is returned with the parish. Some delightful views of the vale of the Dovey may be obtained from several parts of this township.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 9 Sept 2005 Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996