"LLANWYDDELAN, a parish in the hundred of Newtown, county Montgomery, 4 miles S. of Llanfair, and 6 N.W. of Newtown, its post town. It is situated in the vicinity of the Roman road Caer Sws, and the river Rhiw flows through the parish, which includes the townships of Pencoed, Penymes, and Treganol. Here are hills with good pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, pal. £250, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Gwyddelan. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The charities amount to about £3 per annum. In the neighbourhood are traces of a British camp."
"PENCOED, a township in the parish of Llanwyddelan, county Montgomery, 6 miles S. of Llanfair."
"PENYMES, a township in the parish of Llanwyddelan, county Montgomery, 4 miles S.W. of Llanfair."
"TREGANOL, a township in the parish of Llanwyddelan, county Montgomery, 6 miles N.W. of Newtown."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
LLANWYDDELAN (LLAN-WYDDELAN), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of NEWTOWN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Llanvair, containing 530 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated nearly in the centre of the county, comprises about five thousand acres of arable and pasture land, for the most part in a good state of cultivation : in 1796 an act of parliament was obtained for dividing and enclosing the common and waste lands, the former of which was then done, and the latter has since that period been partially carried into effect. The surface is boldly undulated, and the soil is various : peat, which forms the principal fuel of the inhabitants, is procured in abundance. The manufacture of flannel is carried on to a small extent, affording employment to a portion of the inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £3. 8. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Gwyddelan, is an ancient edifice, appropriately fitted up for the performance of divine service. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. Rowland Evans bequeathed £15, the interest to be appropriated to the teaching of poor children ; Richard Pryce bequeathed £ 12, and the Rev. Mr. Jones £5, for the support of a charity school ; and one of the Welsh circulating charity schools is at present held in the parish. Various small charitable donations and bequests in land and money have been made for the benefit of the poor of this parish. The Roman road from Caer-Sws to Chester is supposed to have passed through the western part of it, entering through the pass of Bwlch Cae Haidd, and proceeding to the vale of Mochnant, where Sir R. Colt Hoare has placed the Mediolanum of Richard's Itinerary. There are also some remains of ancient British fortifications, one called Pen y Gaer, surrounded with an entrenchment, and another on the other side of the Roman road, called Lluest Cerig, or Carneddau : these posts appear to have been chosen as commanding the passes of Bwlch Haidd and Cevn Coch, both of which are within view. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £345.12.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)