We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANYMYNECH - Gazetteers
National Gazetteer, 1868
"LLANYMYNECH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry, county Salop with a part in the county of Montgomery, 6 miles S.W. of Oswestry, its post town, and 17 N.W, of Shrewsbury. It is situated on the borders of Denbighshire and Montgomeryshire, a small portion of the parish extending into those counties. The Cambrian railway has a station here. The river Vyrnwy, the Montgomery canal, and Offa's Dyke, traverse this neighbourhood. The townships of Llwyn Tidman, Carreghova, and Treprenal, are included in the parish The district abounds with hills, from whence are obtained copper ore, ochre, and large quantities of limestone. At the quarries of Porthywaen enormous quantities of mountain limestone are extracted and transmitted to Staffordshire to be used in the smelting of iron ore. Lead and zinc have also been found here.
The highest point is called Llanymynech Hill, from the summit of which there are extensive views of the surrounding country. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £394, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a stone edifice, in the Anglo-Norman style of architecture, erected in 1845. It has an E. window of stained glass. The charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. At a spot called Ogo Cavern, Roman coins of the reign of Antoninus have been found in juxtaposition with mining-tools, and several skeletons, showing that these copper-mines were worked by the Romans. In the neighbourhood may be seen traces of a British camp. The Earl of Powis and F. West, Esq., are lords of the manor. Fairs are held on the 1st April, 29th May, and 23rd September."
"CARREGHOVA, a township in the parish of Llanymynech, hundred of Chirk, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 5 miles to the E. of Llanfyllin. It is seated on the banks of the river Vyrnwy, not far from Offa's Dyke, and until recently formed part of the county of Denbigh. The Montgomery canal passes near it. The inhabitants of the village are chiefly employed in the mines and stone-quarries of the neighbourhood."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.