"LYDHAM, a parish partly in the hundred and county of Montgomery, but chiefly in the hundred of Purslow, county Salop, 2 miles N.E. of Bishop's Castle, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Church Stretton. The main road from Bishop's Castle to Shrewsbury passes through the village. The small river Camlet rises in the parish, which includes the township of Aston. A portion of the people are Welsh. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £463. The church is an ancient stone edifice, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and has an antique font. The Rev. A. Oakeley is lord of the manor. Oakeley House is the principal residence."
"ASTON, a township in that part of the parish of LYDHAM which is in the lower division of the hundred of MONTGOMERY, County of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Montgomery, containing 84 inhabitants, This township, which is situated on the border of Shropshire, on the road from Bishop's Castle to Montgomery, formerly composed part of the manor of Teirtrev, or the three townships, which had a chapel attached ; but subsequently this manor was divided, and Aston was connected with the parish of Lydham, the greater part of which is in the hundred of Purslow, county of Salop. It now forms one of the eighteen parishes and townships which are incorporated for the support of their poor in the house of industry at Forden : the average annual assessment for this purpose is £24.7." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)]