"PENSTRYWED (PEN Y STROWED), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (W.) from Newtown, containing 123 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the southern bank of the river Severn, and on the turnpike road leading from Newtown to Llandinam, ... The church, dedicated to St. George, ..." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 1220 acres; Population 60 males, 50 females, total 110
Penstrowed Parish Church Attendance - morning 25 Services in English John Arthur Herbert, Rector
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Baptisms 1628-47, 1661-1974; Marriages 1628-47, 1661-1968; Burials 1628-47, 1661-1812, 1814-1994
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Penystrywaid / Penstrowed which are provided by: