We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

PENSTROWED - Gazetteers

National Gazetteer, 1868

"PENSTRO WED, a parish in the hundred of Llanidloes, county Montgomery, 2 miles W. of Newtown, its post town, and 9 from Llanidloes. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the western bank of the river Severn, and near the Caer-Sws Roman way. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £110, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. George."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833

PENSTRYWED (PEN Y STROWED), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (W.) from Newtown, containing 123 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the southern bank of the river Severn, and on the turnpike road leading from Newtown to Llandinam, is composed of a very moderate extent of arable and pasture land, of which by far the greater part is enclosed. The surface is boldly undulated, rising in some parts into eminences of considerable elevation : the soil, which is in general fertile, is in the lower grounds rich and productive, and the inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, combining many features of picturesque beauty ; and the views from the higher grounds embrace a tract of fertile and richly cultivated country. The living is a discharged rectory, within the jurisdiction of the Consistorial Court of the Bishop of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £5. 0. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. George, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, kept in decent repair, and appropriately fitted up. A portion of the Roman road leading from Caer-Sws to the Gaer, near Montgomery, may be traced, for some part of its course, in the grounds of Glan Havren, in this parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £43. 16.


(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books