GENUKI Home page
Tref Eglwys Tref Eglwys   Contents & Search Contents

TREF EGLWYS


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"TREF EGLWYS, a parish in the hundred of Llanidloes, county Montgomery, 9 miles from Newtown, its post town, and 4 N. of Llanidloes. The village is situated on a branch of the -river Severn. The parish contains the townships of Bod-aioch, Dolgwyden, Thaes-tref-gomer, and Eskirieth, with Glyn-tref-naut. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the woollen manufacture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor, value 103. The parochial charities produce about 15 per annum. The Methodists have chapels."

"BODAIOCH, a township in the parish of Tref-Eglwys, hundred of Llanidloes in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 4 miles to the N. of Llanidloes. It is seated in a pleasant spot on the banks of the river Tarannon, a branch of the Severn."

"DOL-GWDEN, a township in the parish of Tref-Eglwys, in the county of Montgomery, 4 miles N. of Llanidloes. It is situated in a vale, near the river Clywedog."

"ESKIRIETH, a township in the parish of Tref-Eglwys, county Montgomery, 4 miles N. of Llanidloes. The manufacture of flannel is carried on here."

"GLYNTREFNANT, a township in the parish of Tref-Eglwys, county Montgomery, 4 miles N. of Llanidloes. The river Trefnant, sometimes called "The Three Streams", flows through the neighbourhood."

"MAESTREFGOMER, a township in the parish of Tref-Eglwys, county Montgomery, 4 miles N. of Llanidloes."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

 A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

TREVEGLWYS (TREV-EGLWYS), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (N.) from Llanidloes, containing 1820 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the pleasant vale of Llanidloes, and is intersected by the small river Taraunon, which flows into the Severn near Caer-Sws. The surrounding scenery is richly varied, and in some parts beautifully picturesque : the village, which is small, and surrounded by sheltering hills, is seen with beautiful effect from the road to Llanidloes, at the distance of a mile from which it is situated. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture, and in the manufacture of flannel. The living is a discharged vicarage, within the jurisdiction of the Consistorial Court of the Bishop of Bangor, rated in the king's books at 5. 8. 4., and in the patronage of Lord Mostyn. The church, dedicated, according to some authorities, to St. Luke, but according to others to St. Michael, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, and contains some remains of ancient carved oak of elegant design. In the churchyard are some fine yew trees of luxuriant growth. There are places of worship for Baptists and Welsh Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, to each of which a Sunday school is attached. Ursula Evans bequeathed to the poor of this parish a rent-charge of 1; the payment of which has been discontinued for some years, from neglect of the parishioners in enforcing it ; Mrs. Pugh gave 10 ; Richard Baxter bequeathed 100, and Hugh Baxter 50, both which sums have been vested in land producing 8 per annum ; and John Swancoat bequeathed land producing 6 per annum, to the poor of the parish, for whose relief there are also some smaller charitable bequests and donations. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is no less than 1530. 2.

 

BODAIOCH

BODAIOCH (BOD-AIOCH), a township in the parish of TREVEGLWYS, upper division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, County of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Llanidloes. The population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the left bank of the river Tarannon, which flows into the Severn a few miles distant.

 Dolgwden

DOLGWDEN (DOL-GWDEN), a township in the parish of TREVEGLWYS, upper division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 7 1/2 miles (N. W.) from Llanidloes. The population is returned with the parish. It is situated in a vale near the junction of the Bachau stream with the river Clywedog, on the road from Machynlleth to Llanidloes. There are a few agreeable residences, though the general aspect of the surrounding district is wild and mountainous.

ESKEIRETH

ESKEIRETH (ESGEIRIAU), a township in the parish of TREVEGLWYS, upper division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (N.N.W.) from Llanidloes. The population is returned with the parish. Several of the inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of flannel.

GLYNTREVNANT

GLYNTREVNANT (GLYN TREV NANT), a township in the parish of TREVEGLWYS, upper division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (N.) from Llanidloes. The population is returned with the parish. It takes its name from the junction of three streams, which form the river Trevnant : the church is situated here.

MAESTREGOMER

MAESTREGOMER (MAES - TRE - GOMER), a township in the parish of TREVEGLWYS, upper division of the hundred of LLANIDLOES, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES. The population is included in the return for the parish.

(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 23 Oct 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI