"TREGYNON (TREV-GYNON), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of NEWTOWN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (N. by W.) from Newtown, containing 740 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the left of the turnpike road from Newtown to Llanvair, comprises about five thousand acres of arable and pasture land, ... The church, dedicated to St. Cynon, ... There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists ..." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 6760 acres; Population 378 males, 340 females, total 718
Tregynon Parish Church Attendance - average - 90 - 150 Service in English " In consequence of the parish being served with another there is but one service - Morning and Evening - alternately each Sunday" R W Morgan, Perpetual Curate
Tregynon Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist Erected before 1800 Attendance - morning 27 + 28 scholars, evening 60 Richard Tilsley, Deacon
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Baptisms 1689-1891; Marriages 1680-4, 1689, 1695-1970 ; Burials 1677-81, 1685, 1689-1993 ; Banns 1823-1939
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW, and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW, Denbighshire Archives and/or Flintshire Archives
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Tregynon which are provided by:
Ty'n y Bryn Farms near Tregynon village - many photographs of a modern working farm "Tynybryn is a family farm in the heart of Mid Wales. It is farmed by John & Jean Jones their sons Tim and Dan, and Dan's wife Janine. It was established by Jean's grandparents Dan and Florence Gethin in 1913......."