Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
TREGYNON - Gazetteers
"TREGYNON, a parish in the hundred of Newtown, county Montgomery, 4 miles N. of Newtown, its post town, and 5 from Llanfair. It is situated on the Sarn Sws way, and includes the townships of Aberhale, Llanfechan, and Pwllaw. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £87. The church is dedicated to St. Cynon. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum, and the inhabitants have the privilege of sending four persons to Bettws almshouse. The Calvinistic Methodists have a chapel."
"ABERHALE, a township in the parish of Tregynon, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 5 miles to the N. of Newtown."
"LLANFECHAN, a township in the parish of Tregynon, county Montgomery, 4 miles N. of Newton."
"PWLLAN, a township in the parish of Tregynon, county Montgomery, 4 miles N. of Newtown."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
TREGYNON (TREV-GYNON), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of NEWTOWN, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (N. by W.) from Newtown, containing 740 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the left of the turnpike road from Newtown to Llanvair, comprises about five thousand acres of arable and pasture land, which is principally in old enclosures, and about thirteen hundred acres of other land, of which the greater part has been allotted, and about five hundred acres enclosed, under an act of parliament obtained in 1794 ; the remainder being incapable of cultivation, and affording only pasturage for sheep and young cattle. The soil in the lower grounds is rich ; and there are some good turbaries in various parts of the parish, affording fuel to the inhabitants. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, and enriched with wood; and the views from the higher grounds embrace a well-cultivated tract of country. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, endowed with £ 200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Charles Hanbury Tracey, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Cynon, is an ancient edifice, in the early style of English architecture, and contains some neat monuments, among which is one of white marble to the memory of the late benevolent Arthur Blayney, Esq., at whose expense the church was new pewed and embellished. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, to each of which is attached a Sunday school, supported by subscription. Four poor persons are nominated from this parish as inmates of the alms-houses founded, in 1709, by Arthur Weaver, Esq., in the parish of Bettws.. Andrew Blayney, and Joyous Blayney, in 1774, bequeathed money secured on the turnpike trust, producing £1.10. per annum, which is annually distributed among the poor. The Roman Via Devana passed across this parish, and some remains of it were here visible until of late years. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £317. 5.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books